[comp.sys.mac] Suitcase crashes?

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (07/30/88)

Has anyone had any crashes with Suitcase?

I am using 1.2.4 (handpatched from 1.2.1) on an SE with 2.5MB,
internal 20MB, system 5 (4.2/6.0) with MultiFinder.  Some number of
INITs.

If I launch (say) Excel using an Excel startup file, quit, then launch
another Excel startup file, Finder crashes (every time) at some ROM
location (TMON says it is in Get1NamedResource+some) with an address
error.  I haven't been able to track down why.  If I exit-to-shell
from TMON, Finder restarts.

If I leave in all the INITs but Suitcase, this doesn't happen.
Tonight I will try it again with no inits but Suitcase, to make sure;
and if that fails I will revert to Suitcase 1.2.1 and try again.  (I
might have screwed up the patches, after all.)  I have occasionally
had halts in the DA layer when starting up a DA like control panel; if
that happens, the only result from using the Apple menu is a beep --
until I reboot.

Any insight appreciated.

	/JBL

UUCP: {backbone}!bbn!levin     USPS: BBN Communications Corporation
ARPA: levin@bbn.com                  150 Cambridgepark Drive
POTS: (617) 873-3463                 Cambridge, MA  02140

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (08/02/88)

In article <27694@bbn.COM> levin@BBN.COM  I wrote:
~Has anyone had any crashes with Suitcase?
~ . . .
~If I launch (say) Excel using an Excel startup file, quit, then launch
~another Excel startup file, Finder crashes (every time) at some ROM
~location (TMON says it is in Get1NamedResource+some) with an address
~error.  I haven't been able to track down why.  If I exit-to-shell
~from TMON, Finder restarts. . . .
~
~ [some tests I tried omitted]

Further testing, I removed all the INITs and cdevs but Suitcase 1.2.4,
and I got the crash.  After reverting to Suitcase 1.2.1 I did NOT get
the crash.  I started up FEDIT and verified all the patches I had made
to go from 1.2.1 to 1.2.4.  (I did not go back and try repatching to
see if I had accidentally and unknowingly made some other change.)
The only other thing I had done was to change the STR resource to use
cmd-\ as the Suitcase call-up.

I had some interesting suggestions including those from Mr. Lewis;
however I do not have the 5.1 laserwriter drivers (I'm not sure
whether I even have the 5.0 on that particular machine, since I don't
have an LW at home )-: ); but I'll look into the other suggestion of
seeing if having more than 4 cdevs has anything to do with it.

For the meantime, I am running Suitcase 1.2.1.  I expect 1.3 in the
mail (within 8 weeks) and 2.0 to follow.

richard@claris.UUCP (Richard Scorer) (08/03/88)

In article <27749@bbn.COM> levin@BBN.COM (Joel B Levin) writes:
> ... details of problems with SuitCase 1.2.4
>For the meantime, I am running Suitcase 1.2.1.  I expect 1.3 in the
>mail (within 8 weeks) and 2.0 to follow.
>
>	/JBL

Joel,

I have been having some horrendous problems with SuitCase 1.2.4 and LightSpeedC
version 3.0 - it has been corrupting my projects on an almost hourly basis.

As soon as my team removes SuitCase, no problem.

I, too, have decided to wait for 1.3.  Let's hope it works...

	-Rich-

--

 Richard Scorer       *   UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!richard
 Claris Corporation   *   AppleLink: Scorer1   *   CompuServe: 74017,344

jwhitnell@cup.portal.com (08/05/88)

 Richard Scorer writes...
|I have been having some horrendous problems with SuitCase 1.2.4 and LightSpeed
|version 3.0 - it has been corrupting my projects on an almost hourly basis.

I've been running this same configuration (System 6.0, Suitcase 1.2.4,
LSC 3.0 all on a Mac II)  and have had no problems with corrupted projects.
I suspect there is more to the problems your seeing then a broken Suitcase.

Jerry

--
Jerry Whitnell
jwhitnell@cup.portal.com