[comp.sys.mac] Macplus to Laser writer no Apple talk.

srchbgm@cmv.dsir.govt.nz (07/25/88)

HI, has anyone out there attached a Lazer writer directly to the printer
port of their MAC Plus? I do not wish to purchase the APPLE Talk hardware
but instead connect directly to the printer.
If a single cable connection is possible will applications packages
write directly to the printer if I make the appropriate CHOOSER settings or do
I have to create a Postscript file and transfer it to the printer using a
file transfer utility. What are the appropriate CHOOSER setting for such a
configuration?

     I would like to know the following pin cabling connections so that the
following cables can be constructed.

      Mini 8                          to         25 pin RS232
      Mini 8                          to          9 pin RS422

Regards Bruce Muschamp.  SRCHBGM%CMV%VUWCOMP@UUNET.UU.NET   ( Bit net)
                         SRCHBGM%CMV.DSIR.GOVT.NZ@UUNET.UU.NET  (Internet)

alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (07/26/88)

In article <290@cmv.dsir.govt.nz> srchbgm@cmv.dsir.govt.nz writes:
>HI, has anyone out there attached a Lazer writer directly to the printer
>port of their MAC Plus? [etc. And, will the chooser work right?]

A direct connection between the two works just like a two-node network. NO
CHANGES are needed in the chooser or anywhere else.

>     I would like to know the following pin cabling connections so that the
>following cables can be constructed.
>
>      Mini 8                          to         25 pin RS232
>      Mini 8                          to          9 pin RS422

Don't remember offhand, but I do know that the Mini DIN-8 plugs are described
in Inside Mac IV. The DB9 is described in Inside Mac III. Since the Mac Plus
has a DIN8 and the Laserwriter a DB9 (the LW IIs have mini DIN8s also), why
would you want a DB25 pinout? If you're looking at the DB25 on the LW, forget
it. It's not useful to you.

----
Alexis Rosen                       {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Writing from                                {harpo,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!alexis
The Big Electric Cat                  {portal,well,sun}!hoptoad/
Public UNIX                         if mail fails: ...cmcl2!cucard!cunixc!abr1
Best path: uunet!dasys1!alexis

Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com (07/27/88)

You can dirrect connect the laserwriter to any Mac.  I don't know what cable
you need (I think it is a standard printer cable though), but you have to
switch the switch on the laserwriter (I don't have one, so I don't know it
says, I think it is the middle position).  There is an article in MacWorld
that tells how to do it (I think it is in a question and answer section).  I
will try and find it, but you might also try and look for it as I am not too
good at finding back articles.  I would guess that all you have to do in the
chooser is select the LaserWriter and the right port and make sure that
AppleTalk is off (if you don't have AppleTalk).

Mark Cookson

blknowle@uokmax.UUCP (Bradford L Knowles) (07/28/88)

In article <290@cmv.dsir.govt.nz> srchbgm@cmv.dsir.govt.nz writes:
>HI, has anyone out there attached a Lazer writer directly to the printer
>port of their MAC Plus? I do not wish to purchase the APPLE Talk hardware
>but instead connect directly to the printer.

> [stuff deleted about "if I can do this, what more info do I need..."]

Bruce, as far as I know, there is no way you can do this feasibly.
One of the primary reasons LocalTalk (used to be "AppleTalk") is the
single most common LAN in the world is the fact that to hook up to a
LaserWriter requires the shortest LAN known to man -- a single cable
going between two LocalTalk connectors, one on your Mac, one on the
LaserWriter.  PERHAPS you could fiddle around with using it through
the serial ports, but this would be very non-standard, you would have
to write all your own drivers for it, etc...  This is why everybody
who hooks up to a LaserWriter uses LocalTalk.

Sorry to burst your bubble (and make your wallet scream in agony...)

>Regards Bruce Muschamp.  SRCHBGM%CMV%VUWCOMP@UUNET.UU.NET   ( Bit net)
>                         SRCHBGM%CMV.DSIR.GOVT.NZ@UUNET.UU.NET  (Internet)

Nice to meecha!

-Brad Knowles

UUCP: ...!ihnp4!occrsh!uokmax!blknowle     ARPA: blknowle@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
SNAIL: 1013 Mobile Circle
       Norman, OK  73071-2522

Disclaimer: (The above opinions are my own.  They have nothing to do with the
		Univeristy of Oklahoma nor intelligance of any sort. :-)

erics@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Eric Schlegel) (07/28/88)

>In article <290@cmv.dsir.govt.nz> srchbgm@cmv.dsir.govt.nz writes:
>>HI, has anyone out there attached a Lazer writer directly to the printer
>>port of their MAC Plus? I do not wish to purchase the APPLE Talk hardware
>>but instead connect directly to the printer.
>
>> [stuff deleted about "if I can do this, what more info do I need..."]

I don't know about Mac->LaserWriter, but I do know that if you take an ordinary
ImageWriter printer cable and connect it between the two serial ports of two
Macs, the Macs are completely happy and can communicate using AppleTalk over
the printer cable. If the LaserWriter has the same kind of port as a serial
port on a Mac, I suspect you can do the same thing.
Hope this helps.

Eric
------
Eric Schlegel                 |  DISCLAIMER: I'm just a poor college student,
eric.schlegel@dartmouth.edu   |  which means I'm not responsible for what I
                              |  say and I can't pay you if you sue me anyway.

psych@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (R.Crispin - Psychology) (07/28/88)

You can hook the laser to the mac with a cable that goes from the
printer port on the mac to the laser. This subsitutes for the localtalk
stuff that apple sells. You do not need to buy the stuff if you are
connecting directly.
For a Mac Plus to a LWII NT or LWII NTX the standard mini din peripheral
cable should work. I have not tried this one.
For a Mac Plus to a LW or LW+ the following cable should work.
MINI DIN 8 =====> DB9
2->7, 3->9, 4->1, 5->5, 6->8, 8->4

An alternative to the above for Mac+ to LW or LW+ is to get
the Apple DB9 female to Mini DIN 8 adapter (M0199) and make a DB9 To DB9
cable connected as follows:
1->1, 3->3, 4->8, 5->9, 7->7, 8->4, 9->5

Its been awhile since I played with this but I am pretty sure everything
here is correct.

Richard Crispin
Dept. of Psychology             Bitnet: psych@watdcs
University of Waterloo          Unix  : psych@watdcsu.UWaterloo.ca
Waterloo, Ont.   Canada   N2L 3G1
(519)885-1211 ext 2879

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (07/28/88)

In article <1655@uokmax.UUCP> blknowle@uokmax.UUCP (Bradford L Knowles) writes:
>In article <290@cmv.dsir.govt.nz> srchbgm@cmv.dsir.govt.nz writes:
>>HI, has anyone out there attached a Lazer writer directly to the printer
>>port of their MAC Plus? I do not wish to purchase the APPLE Talk hardware
>>but instead connect directly to the printer.
>
>> [stuff deleted about "if I can do this, what more info do I need..."]
>
>Bruce, as far as I know, there is no way you can do this feasibly.

APDA offers the "Asynch LaserWriter Driver", which I believe will do what
you want (i.e., hang the LaserWriter off the printer/serial port as if
it were an Imagewriter).  Whether it is completely compatible with stuff
like PageMaker (that has its own prep file) is not clear.  Also whether
Apple will support it more than 6 months into the future.  But it might
be worth finding out about.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

dwb@Apple.COM (David W. Berry) (07/29/88)

In article <1655@uokmax.UUCP> blknowle@uokmax.UUCP (Bradford L Knowles) writes:
>In article <290@cmv.dsir.govt.nz> srchbgm@cmv.dsir.govt.nz writes:
>>HI, has anyone out there attached a Lazer writer directly to the printer
>>port of their MAC Plus? I do not wish to purchase the APPLE Talk hardware
>>but instead connect directly to the printer.
>
>> [stuff deleted about "if I can do this, what more info do I need..."]
>
>Bruce, as far as I know, there is no way you can do this feasibly.
>One of the primary reasons LocalTalk (used to be "AppleTalk") is the
>single most common LAN in the world is the fact that to hook up to a
>LaserWriter requires the shortest LAN known to man -- a single cable
>going between two LocalTalk connectors, one on your Mac, one on the
>LaserWriter.  PERHAPS you could fiddle around with using it through
>the serial ports, but this would be very non-standard, you would have
>to write all your own drivers for it, etc...  This is why everybody
>who hooks up to a LaserWriter uses LocalTalk.
	Sigh.  One last time, just to burst all the bubbles of the
naysayers who claim it can't be done.  If you just want to connect
a single macintosh (of any variety) to a single LaserWriter (of any
variety but IISC) you can take an appropriate cable and connect the
two, without putting LocalTalk cabling in.  For a Mac Plus and newer
you get an Imagewriter I printer cable appropriate for your machine
and go.  Configure the LaserWriter for AppleTalk.  This also works
to connect two macintoshes back to back over AppleTalk.  The only
real problem is that you may have reliability problems if you use
too much cable.  10' is just fine.

>Sorry to burst your bubble (and make your wallet scream in agony...)
>
>>Regards Bruce Muschamp.  SRCHBGM%CMV%VUWCOMP@UUNET.UU.NET   ( Bit net)
>>                         SRCHBGM%CMV.DSIR.GOVT.NZ@UUNET.UU.NET  (Internet)
>
>Nice to meecha!
>
>-Brad Knowles
>
>UUCP: ...!ihnp4!occrsh!uokmax!blknowle     ARPA: blknowle@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
>SNAIL: 1013 Mobile Circle
>       Norman, OK  73071-2522
>
>Disclaimer: (The above opinions are my own.  They have nothing to do with the
>		Univeristy of Oklahoma nor intelligance of any sort. :-)

Opinions:  MINE, ALL MINE! (greedy evil chuckle)

David W. Berry
apple!dwb@sun.com	dwb@apple.com	973-5168@408.MaBell

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David M. O'Rourke) (07/30/88)

Some questions:

1) Why worry about direct connecting a LaserWriter at all?  I mean just because
   you're using AppleTalk doesn't mean you have to use the network.  Connecting
   laserWriter to a single mac via appletalk is essentially a direct connection.

2) How are you going to print to it.  The LaserWriter drive *ASSUMES* the laser
   printer is on AppleTalk, and if there is a way to change this {I'm positive
   there isn't} I'd bet it's not easy.  So if you could get the LaserWriter
   connected how would you use it???

3) There's no point.  It will work with no problems what so ever on A-Talk why
   try and be diffferent, I mean the cables only cost about $50.00, if you can
   afford a LaserPrinter and then can't afford the $50.00 buck to hook it up
   well I'll be happy to take that nasty laser printer off your hands for you.

David
--
David M. O'Rourke                                  dorourke@polyslo.calpoly.edu

"If it doesn't do Windows, then it's not a computer!!!"
Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!

dudevoir@bernoulli.Stanford.EDU (Glen P. Dudevoir) (08/06/88)

This is really quite a simple problem.  Appletalk is a 2 wire network.
The Appletalk boxes that cost you $50 from Apple inductively couple
couple both the transmit (two wires) and receive (two wires) to the
single pair in Appletalk.  All you need to do is connect the
transmit of the laserwriter to the receive on the Mac(512e,plus,II) and
vice versa.  Both the Mac and the laserwriter are wired as DTE,
ie they transmit and receive on the same pairs.  It actually only
takes three wires to make the cable work, use RxD-, TxD- and Gnd.
The pinout for the connectors is below:

        DB-9 (Mac 512, LW LW+)        Din-8 (Mac+,SE,II LW SC,NT,NTX)
        ----------------------	      ------------------------------

          pin       signal               pin    signal
           1         Gnd    		  4       Gnd
           3         Gnd
           5         TxD-    		  5       RxD-
           9         RxD-	          3       TxD-

This type of cable is generally known as a null modem.
In this case there is no need to include the other modem signals
like DTR or CTS.

Please excuse any terminology errors with regard to the difference
between appletalk and localtalk. I can't keep straight which is
the software and which is the hardware. You must make sure that
you are using the appletalk port on both the mac(printer port)
and the laserwriter(db-9 for LW,LW+ and din-8 for LW SC,NT,NTX).
I guarantee that it works. We have an SE connected to a LW+ and a
MACII connected to an NT in this manner.

Glen