[comp.sys.mac] Displaying 96-point Fonts

davidl@intelob.omepd (David Levine) (08/05/88)

I recently got copies of the LaserWriter II SC fonts disks, which
include Times, Helvetica, Courier and Symbol at sizes up to 96 points.
"Great!"  thought I, "Now I can have top-quality letters up to two
inches high in bitmap documents!"  Alas, it doesn't seem to work.

When I load all sizes of Helvetica (over 350K for ONE FONT...
Helvetica 96 alone is over 130K) into my System, selecting Helvetica
96 results in blank space on the screen.  When I type, the
(two-inch-high!) insertion point moves but nothing is displayed.  I
tried MacPaint 1.4 and 2.0, MS Word 3.01, SuperPaint demo version, and
ReadySetGo 4.0a: all have the same non-effect.  They can display
96-point letters when scaled up from smaller sizes, but not actual
96-point letters.  72-point works OK.

Font/DA Mover displays the upper half-inch or so of the font, so I
know it's really there.  ResEdit displays the lower right corner of
each letter in the character-selection pane of its FONT editing
window, but no sample appears in the sample-text pane and there's no
character to edit in the character-editing pane.

These large fonts are meant for printing at 1/4 their size, not for screen
display.  I suspect that I've run into a limitation of the Font Manager.
But please, can someone figure out a way I can type 96-point Times headers
in my MacPaint flyers?  (Can we look forward to a Font Manager extension
in a future System release?)

Yes, I still use MacPaint for some things.  I'd love to use
Illustrator or FreeHand, but I don't have a laser printer and they're
very expensive...

David D. Levine                        BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNN  NNNN TM
Senior Technical Writer                BBBB  BBBB iiii iiii NNNN NNNN
BiiN - An Information Systems Company  BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNNNNNNNN
                                       BBBB  BBBB IIII IIII NNNN NNNN
 ...tektronix!ogcvax!inteloa!davidl    BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNNN  NNN

casseres@Apple.COM (David Casseres) (08/06/88)

In article <3722@omepd> davidl@intelob.omepd (David Levine) writes:
>[..]      I suspect that I've run into a limitation of the Font Manager.
>But please, can someone figure out a way I can type 96-point Times headers
>in my MacPaint flyers?  (Can we look forward to a Font Manager extension
>in a future System release?)

This sounds very much as if you're using an old System, and the Font
Manager patch you're wishing for has already been provided, in System
4.3.  The large fonts don't work with anything earlier.  BTW, my copy
of MacPaint doesn't let me select 96 points; it only goes up to 72.

David Casseres