[comp.sys.mac] Minimal System 6.0 configurations

cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) (08/04/88)

I'm trying to squeeze a System 6.0 folder on a floppy w/ Word 3.02.  Word
needs 350K on th edisk, so I have ~445K available for the system folder.

With a standard Plus script, I am ~170K short of disk space.  What exactly
can I remove from the System to reduce it by about 170K?  (Excluding
fonts, and DA's, as I've already cut those as far as I want.)

I'd also be interested to learn what can be pared off of 4.2 (for use on
a Plus) as well.

(BTW, will ResEdit show the FONTs that are in ROM, or just the ones in
the System file on the disk?  Can I cut the FONTs that are in ROM from a
System (using ResEdit) or should I leave them alone?

Thanks.

-JimC
--
batcomputer!cloos@cornell.UUCP  |James H. Cloos, Jr.|#include <disclaimer.h>
cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.EDU|B7 Upson, Cornell U|#include <cute_stuff.h>

marc@rna.UUCP (Marc Johnson) (08/05/88)

In article <5767@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> cloos@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) writes:
>I'm trying to squeeze a System 6.0 folder on a floppy w/ Word 3.02. ...
>I'd also be interested to learn what can be pared off of 4.2 (for use on
>a Plus) as well.

This is a general interest item...respondents please post to the net
rather than e-mail to James.  Thanx!

-Marc

Heflich@sleazy.UUCP (Alan Heflich) (08/06/88)

In article <5767@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> cloos@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) writes:
>I'm trying to squeeze a System 6.0 folder on a floppy w/ Word 3.02.  Word
>needs 350K on th edisk, so I have ~445K available for the system folder.
>
>With a standard Plus script, I am ~170K short of disk space.  What exactly

Well your problem can be easily overcome without ResEdit or anything else.
Apple distributed a folder with the 6.0 set call something like Minimum
Size Installation (actually it was shorter).  You can install something like
a 350 system onto a blank (a first) using that script and Apple's Installer.
----
Alan Heflich
Motorola GEG
Internet:  {backbone}!nud!sleazy!heflich
Arpanet:   Heflich @ DOckmaster.arpa