[comp.sys.mac] Novy Accelerator Board for MacPlus

lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) (08/05/88)

I am interested in any information I can get about the 16 megaHertz
Accelerator board for a MacPlus.  Any horror stories?  What's a good
price? How much speed up could I expect over a non-souped up Plus with
2.5 meg of mmeory?

Thanks

Larry

macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) (08/07/88)

In article <6875@bcsaic.UUCP> lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) writes:
>I am interested in any information I can get about the 16 megaHertz
>Accelerator board for a MacPlus.  Any horror stories?  What's a good
>price? How much speed up could I expect over a non-souped up Plus with
>2.5 meg of mmeory?

I have no direct experience with accelerators, but wanted to share some info
that I just received from Total Systems Integration (TSI) regarding a new
product to be introduced at the Boston MacExpo.  If I were in the market for
an accelerator for a Mac Plus or SE, I sure would give the TSI products
serious consideration... they sound real good.  Anyway, here's some info:

TSI has come out with an accelerator board that will work with the Mac 512E,
the Mac Plus _and_ the Mac SE.  Yes, the same board works on all three Apple
CPUs.  You can get the board with a 68020 running at 16MHZ, 20MHZ or 25 MHz or
with a 68030 runnig at 20MHz or 25MHz.  You can optionally add the
apprpropiate math coprocessor (68881 or 68882) chip and or also up to 4 megs
or SOJ or DIP SIMM RAM on the board.

The neat thing is that the board can be yanked out of your Mac Plus and
dropped into your new Mac SE, should that situation arise.  Also, TSI offers
an upgrade policy in which you can swap CPUs to get a faster chip.  The
original 68000 in your Mac is still available via the programmer's switch,
should you need to run under it.

Seems to me that this is an elegant solution for many folks who might be in
the market for a Mac accelerator.  Prices for the "Gemini" accelerator boards
start at $995 for a 68020 @ 16MHz and $1695 for a 68030 @ 20MHz.

(Sorry if this sounds like a commercial... I assure you it isn't.  This just
sounds like a neat product to me.)

TSI is available at 800-874-2288 or 503-345-7395.  The address is 99 W. 10th
Ave., Suite 333, Eugene, OR  97401.

Jim

--

Jim -->  macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak)  {Standard disclaimer, nothin' fancy!}