[comp.sys.mac] Application not present

rudolph@intelisc.UUCP (David Rudolph) (07/29/88)

I know this was discussed recently, but I can't find the string on our
machine. I just got a 30M hard drive.  I installed a number of
applications w/o any problem.  The only one which is causing any
trouble is MS Word (3.01).  When I try to open its documents (from the
finder), I get the "application busy or not available" box.  I put Word
in the same folder as the documents and still have the same problem.
If I put a Word floppy in the internal drive, then opening a document
on the hard drive runs Word off the floppy.  There is nothing wrong
with the copy of Word on the hard drive -- if I open it directly, I can
then open any of the documents from within the program and run normally.
The "type" and "creator" fields all look correct.  I tried setting various
combinations of the "bundled" and "inited" bits, with no effect.

If you remember the solution or saved the previous string, please let me
know.   Thanks.
--
David Rudolph           CSnet: rudolph%isc.intel.com

msf1537@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (08/01/88)

	Try rebuilding the desktop, by holding down the Command, Option, Shift
and Delete keys when the Finder is loading.  This should solve the problem.

(Yes, I know, only two or three of those keys need to be pressed to rebuild the
desktop.  But there are so many programs that make use of some arcane keypress
combination that I have forgotten the specific keys for "rebuild the desktop,"
but I know that if I hit them all, it will work...)

  Scott Forbes		|	UUCP:	uunet!uiucuxc!uxf!msf1537
   Univ. of Illinois	|   Internet:	msf1537@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu
    at Urbana/Champaign	|
			|    US Mail:	311 E. Armory
  "Is this thing on???"	| (after 8/6)	Champaign, IL  61820

svpillay@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kanthan Pillay) (08/01/88)

In article <46700044@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> msf1537@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>	Try rebuilding the desktop, by holding down the Command, Option, Shift
>and Delete keys when the Finder is loading.  This should solve the problem.
>
>(Yes, I know, only two or three of those keys need to be pressed to rebuild the
>desktop.  But there are so many programs that make use of some arcane keypress
>combination that I have forgotten the specific keys for "rebuild the desktop,"
>but I know that if I hit them all, it will work...)
>  Scott Forbes		|	UUCP:	uunet!uiucuxc!uxf!msf1537

This is a dangerous attitude, frinstance, holding down Tab at the same
time will erase an inserted disk. As it turns out,
Option-Command-Shift-Delete is the sequence you would use for booting
off of a floppy and not mounting any attached SCSI disks.
	Holding down Option-Command will do fine for rebuilding the
desktop.
							Kanthan.

--
Do I really need a signature?

nakata@Jessica.stanford.edu (Lance Nakata) (08/02/88)

If setting the bundle bit in Word does not fix the "Application busy or not
found" error, it could be that one of your Word documents has its bundle
bit set.  It may be a pain to find out which document is causing the
problem, but I would start with the ones you've created or changed
recently.

Lance Nakata
Stanford University
Instruction and Research Information Services (IRIS)
Sweet Hall, Third Floor
Stanford, CA 94305-3090

INTERNET: nakata@jessica.stanford.edu
BITNET:   nakata%jessica at stanford.bitnet
CSNET:    nakata%jessica.stanford.edu@relay.cs.net
USENET:   {sun,decwrl,hplabs}!jessica.stanford.edu!nakata
          "jessica.stanford.edu!nakata"@uunet.uu.net

rich@scotty.UUCP (Rich E. Seyna) (08/02/88)

In article <326@intelisc.UUCP> you write:
>trouble is MS Word (3.01).  When I try to open its documents (from the
>finder), I get the "application busy or not available" box.  I put Word
>
>If you remember the solution or saved the previous string, please let me
>know.   Thanks.
>David Rudolph           CSnet: rudolph%isc.intel.com

I had this problem several months ago with Excel and MSWord.  I could find
no reasonable explination for it.  The final solution was to get out
my backup copy of MSWord and copy it to the hard disk again.  This worked!
The only thing I could figure is that the copy I had on hard disk must
have been corrupted even though I could open documents from within Word.
The same fix worked for Excel.  I haven't had any problems since.

Hope it works for you.  Let me know if I can give you anymore info.
Rich

--
					The naive believes everything,
Rich Seyna                              But the prudent man considers

dudek@ai.toronto.edu (Gregory Dudek) (08/03/88)

>>trouble is MS Word (3.01).  When I try to open its documents (from the
>>finder), I get the "application busy or not available" box.  I put Word

  Response:

>I had this problem several months ago with Excel and MSWord.  I could find
>no reasonable explination for it.  The final solution was to get out
>my backup copy of MSWord and copy it to the hard disk again.  This worked!
>The only thing I could figure is that the copy I had on hard disk must
>have been corrupted even though I could open documents from within Word.
>The same fix worked for Excel.  I haven't had any problems since.
>
>Hope it works for you.  Let me know if I can give you anymore info.

  This has probably been dealt with by now, but since it's such a common
problem I'll risk over-emphasising the point...
  The "application not available" problem means the Finder has lost
track of where/what the owner of the given type of document is.  The
problem is NOT usually with the application itself, but with the Finder's
desktop file.
  One new & insidious way this can happen since system 6.0 is that
if a document's bundle bit is set, it can become the owner of a class
of documents even though the finder will never launch it.  i.e. it will
hide the true owning application.  This bug was described here a while
ago & I have seen it happen on my own mac since then.
  Copying a new version of the application to the disk fixes the problem bacause
the new owner supercedes the old or absent one.  Dragginging the application
between folders (& back) might work too, but I haven't tried it.

  Gregory Dudek

--
Dept. of Computer Science (vision group)    University of Toronto
Nice mailers:  dudek@ai.utoronto.ca

psych@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (R.Crispin - Psychology) (08/03/88)

One of the many bugs still existing in Word 3.0x is that occasionally and
without warning it messes up the desktop file. Double clicking a document
gives you an error box. To fix the problem rebuild the disk that word is
on and the disk the documents are on.

I would like to offer a warning about Word 3.0x. We have had many weird
printing problems with it. It will do things like leave 3/4 of a page
blank. The fix is to delete and replace a "return" in the missing junk.
Another far more serious problem is it will ignore some paragraphs when
printing to the laser. The paragraph is not "invisible", it shows up in the
document and in page preview. When printed it leaves the paragraph out and
reformats the rest of the document. This isn't so bad if you are doing short
documents but with a 400 page thesis this can easily go undetected. We will
probably drop Word as an acceptable word processor because of these printing
problems.

Richard Crispin
Dept. of Psychology             Bitnet: psych@watdcs
University of Waterloo          Unix  : psych@watdcsu.UWaterloo.ca
Waterloo, Ont.   Canada   N2L 3G1
(519)885-1211 ext 2879

drc@claris.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (08/03/88)

In article <347@scotty.UUCP> rich@scotty.UUCP writes:
>In article <326@intelisc.UUCP> you write:
>>trouble is MS Word (3.01).  When I try to open its documents (from the
>>finder), I get the "application busy or not available" box.  I put Word
>>
>>If you remember the solution or saved the previous string, please let me
>>know.   Thanks.
>
>I had this problem several months ago with Excel and MSWord.  I could find
>no reasonable explination for it.  The final solution was to get out
>my backup copy of MSWord and copy it to the hard disk again.  This worked!

It is also possible that you were being bitten by what has been referred to
as the "FullWrite Thesaurus" bug.  Both MSWord and FullWrite license the
Thesaurus from Microlytics (it's really Word Finder).  Microlytics supplies
the Thesaurus file with the bundle bit set; this was never a problem until
System 6.0 was released.  Now the Finder gets confused when searching the
DeskTop file since the BNDL reference for that creator doesn't match the APPL
list that it searches.

Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.
------------
Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed above are _MINE_!

rudolph@intelisc.UUCP (David Rudolph) (08/04/88)

Thanks to all who replied, both personally and on the net.  Most suggested
rebuilding the desktop, and this did the trick.
--
David Rudolph           CSnet: rudolph%isc.intel.com

marc@rna.UUCP (Marc Johnson) (08/05/88)

In article <4942@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> psych@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (R.Crispin - Psychology) writes:
>One of the many bugs still existing in Word 3.0x is that occasionally and
>without warning it messes up the desktop file. Double clicking a document
>gives you an error box. To fix the problem rebuild the disk that word is
>on and the disk the documents are on.

Do you mean rebuild the desktop, or make a new disk and copy things over?

-Marc

(rna!marc@ROCKVAX   or  marc%rna@rockefeller.edu)

equitz@isl.Stanford.EDU (William Equitz) (08/06/88)

I had the "Application Not Found ..." error and I thought it was
because I had deleted a copy of an application from my hard disk
and then placed a new copy on my hard disk.  Rebuilding the desktop
with cmd-option on reboot didn't work, but booting from another
disk and DELETING the desktop (with a DA or resedit) from the offending
disk solved the problem.  The desktop gets rebuilt from scratch
and everything's OK.  This may be a bug in system 6.0.

-Will Equitz (equitz@isl.stanford.edu)

rudolph@intelisc.UUCP (David Rudolph) (08/07/88)

In article <88Aug3.115643edt.66@neat.ai.toronto.edu> dudek@ai.toronto.edu (Gregory Dudek) writes:
>>>trouble is MS Word (3.01).  When I try to open its documents (from the
>>>finder), I get the "application busy or not available" box.  I put Word
>>
>  Response:
>
>>no reasonable explination for it.  The final solution was to get out
>>my backup copy of MSWord and copy it to the hard disk again.  This worked!
>>The only thing I could figure is that the copy I had on hard disk must
>>have been corrupted even though I could open documents from within Word.
>
>  The "application not available" problem means the Finder has lost
>track of where/what the owner of the given type of document is.  The
>problem is NOT usually with the application itself, but with the Finder's
>desktop file.
>  One new & insidious way this can happen since system 6.0 is that
>if a document's bundle bit is set, it can become the owner of a class
>of documents even though the finder will never launch it.  i.e. it will
>hide the true owning application.  This bug was described here a while
>ago & I have seen it happen on my own mac since then.
>  Copying a new version of the application to the disk fixes the problem bacause
>the new owner supercedes the old or absent one.  Dragginging the application
>between folders (& back) might work too, but I haven't tried it.
>
>  Gregory Dudek

Since there have been so many replies my initial posting, I just wanted to
clarify some things.  Several people suggested copying a floppy version of
Word to the hard disk.  I must have neglected to mention it, but I had tried
this to no avail.  Moving the Word file back and forth between folders also
had no effect.  Postings such as Greg's above suggest that some document's
bundle bit may have been set.  But in the original posting, I noted that
double clinking on any Word document would successfully open a version of
Word on a floppy - just not the one copied to the HD.  Would this be the
case if a document had the bundle bit problem?
  Also, since this was a new hard disk and I was just copying my
applications and docs to it for the first time, it seems unlikely that bits
had already been perverted.  In fact, I erased _all_ Word-related files and
recopied my 2 800K Word floppies to the HD and still had the same problem.
  In the end, the only solution that worked was rebuilding the desktop.

--
David Rudolph           CSnet: rudolph%isc.intel.com