[comp.sys.mac] Rear Window, the INIT.

alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (08/05/88)

Does anyone know what the "Rear_Window" INIT is supposed to do? It was posted
a few days ago, and all it seems to do is crash my Mac II in a variety of
interesting ways. Could be my configuration though. If I knew what it was, I
might have an incentive to find the source of the problem...
----
Alexis Rosen                       {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Writing from                                {harpo,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!alexis
The Big Electric Cat                  {portal,well,sun}!hoptoad/
Public UNIX                         if mail fails: ...cmcl2!cucard!cunixc!abr1
Best path: uunet!dasys1!alexis

hoofb@psu-cs.UUCP (Bruce Hoof) (08/08/88)

In article <5884@dasys1.UUCP> alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:

>Does anyone know what the "Rear_Window" INIT is supposed to do? It was posted
>a few days ago, and all it seems to do is crash my Mac II in a variety of
>interesting ways. Could be my configuration though. If I knew what it was, I
>might have an incentive to find the source of the problem...

	Have you ever been in
the finder and opened two windows?  The first window you opened was a big one
and the second window was a smaller one that was on top of the big one. Now
you want to take a file, or folder, in the first larger window and put
it into the smaller window.  Go on, do it.  Oops, when you clicked on the
bigger window it was brought to the front, hiding the smaller window which
you wanted to put that file in.

	This init is designed to solve that problem.  If you hold down the
COMMAND-TAB keys at the time you move the folder from the big window
to the smaller window, the smaller window will not be hidded by the bigger
window! Rear Window effectively freezes the windows in place as long as you
hold down the command-tab.

	NOTE:  This init only works in unifinder.  Multifinder does a whole
lot of funny stuff that renders this init ineffective.

	Rear Window was written by Allan Foster, A great programmer who
does some neat stuff with the Mac.

Bruce
DISCLAIMER: I am not attached to any organization.  I am just a poor student
		getting through school. Hopefully soon.

                  Bruce Hoof +-------------------------------------------------
    Computer Science Student | uunet  \                  hoofb@psu-cs   (LOCAL)
Portland State University CS | ucbvax  }!tektronix!psu-cs!hoofb          (UUCP)
Portland Center for Advanced | gatech /              hoofb@cs.pdx.edu   (CSNET)
-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

shane@chianti.cc.umich.edu (Shane Looker) (08/09/88)

In article <5884@dasys1.UUCP> alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:

>Does anyone know what the "Rear_Window" INIT is supposed to do? It was posted
>a few days ago, and all it seems to do is crash my Mac II in a variety of
>interesting ways. Could be my configuration though. If I knew what it was, I
>might have an incentive to find the source of the problem...

Rear Window is an INIT which allows you to grab files in a window which is
not the front window of the Finder.  Use Cmd-Tab (I think) to select files
you want to move or copy, then (still holding cmd-tab) drag them where you
want to.

Very nice.

Shane Looker
Looker@um.cc.umich.edu