[comp.sys.mac] capturing TV images on the Mac

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (08/08/88)

Hi. I'm looking for a card for the Mac II which would allow one to take TV
images and capture it as a 8-bit color (nb: not greyscale) picture?  Of
course, it should be possible to store the captured image in a "standard"
color picture format (say PIC2).

Ideally this card should also be able to handle higher resolutions higher
than standard TV broadcasts [laserdisk, S-VHS, etc].  It would also be nice
it it could expand/shrink/crop the original image to fit various resolutions.
For example, broadcast TV is something like 330x525 but I might want my
captured image to be a 640x480 image.

Does anything like this exist?  Is it affordable?

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow          |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-607-272-8014   Address: 107 Catherine St, Ithaca NY 14850    |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

mto@homxb.UUCP (M.ODONNELL) (08/09/88)

In article <5809@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) writes:
> Hi. I'm looking for a card for the Mac II which would allow one to take TV

> Ideally this card should also be able to handle higher resolutions higher
> than standard TV broadcasts [laserdisk, S-VHS, etc].  It would also be nice
> it it could expand/shrink/crop the original image to fit various resolutions.
> For example, broadcast TV is something like 330x525 but I might want my
> captured image to be a 640x480 image.

Excerpted from Video Review, August 1988, P. 58

"...the board lets you capture a full 1/30-of-a-second frame and then edit,
crop or otherwise process the image.  The board captures the frame in a
640 X 480 pixel array, wherein you can add text or graphics, change colors,
combine new images, zoom/pan/scroll images and print hard copies of your
work.  The board can interface with a composite video monitor, an RS-170
RGB-capable monitor or the Mac II's own screen, and it includes a genlock
output.

Data Translation, 100 Locke Drive, Marlboro MA 01752-1192  (617) 481-8620"

Marty O'Donnell
ihnp4!homxb!mto