[comp.sys.mac] VIP Question

anich@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Steven Anich) (08/04/88)

Hi,

has anyone out here ever used "VIP", the visual programming
language for the Macintosh?  If so, do you have any
comments on it?

steve anich

anich@puff.WISC.EDU

newton@mtund.ATT.COM (Newton Lee) (08/04/88)

In article <1759@puff.cs.wisc.edu>, anich@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Steven Anich) writes:
> has anyone out here ever used "VIP", the visual programming
> language for the Macintosh?  If so, do you have any
> comments on it?

It's an interesting package, may be of some use in teaching programming
languages, but not practical for building real applications.

Newton Lee
AT&T Bell Laboratories

andrew@ems.Ems.MN.ORG (Andrew C. Esh) (08/08/88)

	I have played around with VIP, and I like it.  It's good for
learning about the toolbox.  The only complaint is that they have been
giving an "in a couple of weeks" date for the release of the MPW C code
generator to me for 4 months now.  I am unable to use VIP for any serious
work until I get the generator, so I can't really give you much more than
"neat" since I've only played with it a bit.  Ho Hum ... :-|

					- Andrew "MPW C" Esh

--
Andrew C. Esh        DOMAIN: andrew@ems.MN.ORG     APPLELINK: D0492
EMS/McGraw-Hill      UUCP: ihnp4!meccts!ems!andrew      AT&T: (612) 829-8200

schear@ttidca.TTI.COM (Steve Schear) (08/09/88)

In article <1005@mtund.ATT.COM> newton@mtund.ATT.COM (Newton Lee) writes:
>It's an interesting package, may be of some use in teaching programming
>languages, but not practical for building real applications.

I have been developing an application using VIP 2.5 for several months now,
and am quite pleased with the results.  As I have not yet used the 'C' code
generators and external 'C' procedure functions, perhaps my bliss is one of
ignorance.  I hope not.

I would welcome more detailed comments, both pro and con, regarding the
practicality of VIP for application implementation.