[comp.sys.mac] Mac II Video/Sony 1302 Multisync monitor

donn@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Donn Fishbein) (08/09/88)

Is anyone using a Sony 1302 Multisync monitor with a Mac II
video card?  On our setup, it seems to work ok, except that
illuminated area of the screen has a slightly concave edge,
which the Apple RGB monitor does not have.  Someone suggested that
there was an internal mod to the Sony one could perform to correct
this.  Does anyone know anything more about this?
Many thanks.

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (08/09/88)

In article <5142@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> donn@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Donn Fishbein) writes:
>Is anyone using a Sony 1302 Multisync monitor with a Mac II
>video card?  On our setup, it seems to work ok, except that
>illuminated area of the screen has a slightly concave edge,
>which the Apple RGB monitor does not have.  Someone suggested that
>there was an internal mod to the Sony one could perform to correct
>this.  Does anyone know anything more about this?
>Many thanks.

To: donn@killer.DALLAS.TX.US
Subject: Re: Mac II Video/Sony 1302 Multisync monitor
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
Bcc:

In article <5142@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> you write:
>Is anyone using a Sony 1302 Multisync monitor with a Mac II
>video card?  On our setup, it seems to work ok, except that
>illuminated area of the screen has a slightly concave edge,
>which the Apple RGB monitor does not have.  Someone suggested that
>there was an internal mod to the Sony one could perform to correct
>this.  Does anyone know anything more about this?
>Many thanks.

Don,
the following is a summary of Sony Technical Support Tip #TT-18 (6/29/87)
I of course disclaim any responsibility for any problems arise from anyone
doing this. While I don't know the current warranty status of doing this
yourself, I will say that I received this Tech Tip from the national Sony US
office after complaining that the local service depots had know idea what
the issues involoved with computer monitors were.  They told me it would be
ok for me to do it myself (this was in 7/87).

Hope it helps.

Josh

PS: I am posting this rather than replying e-mail as I think there may be
many people living with this problem not realizing it is easily reparable.
I have found many installations that left it unresolved unitil I showed
them the fix (typical dealer response was, Oh, that's just a design flaw in the
1302, it cant be fixed.)

Now, can anyone tell me whats causing the almost constant wobble in my display?
this is I think unrelated to the apple color monitor shake problem which hap-
pens only at power up do to the degausser.

Josh

-----------

Power down the system, and disconnect the monitore power chord and video
cable.

Open the case by removing the obvious screws.

4) Gently and carefully lift the cover away from the mounting brackets until
   it is clear of the internal chassis. (you may have to renmove the swivel
   stand first)

5) Using only the front face plate and the metal chassis frame, carefully turn
   the monitor onto its left side (when looking at the monitor from the front)
   Find the bottom PC Board, it's marked "D".

6) Connect the monitor to the video card, connect the AC chord, and power up
   the mac and the monitor.

7) Bring up the Monitor CDEV from the control panel and select the Convergence
   Test button to display the convergence test pattern on the monitors screen.

8) Locate the six adjustment pots (potentiometers) on the PC board.  They are
   labelled (from top to bottom) RV506 RV503 RV570 RV504 RV580 RV503.  Use a
   PLASTIC TV ADJUSTMENT TOOL  (theyre about $.50 at Radio Shack) to carefully
   adjust pots RV570 (Pin Phase) RV504 (Pin Amp) and RV580 (Top Pin) until the
   displayed lines are straight on all four sides of the monitor.  No adjust-
   ment of RV506 RV503 or RV502 is required.

The following drawin shows (approximately what conditions each of these pots
fixes):

RV570		|-----------|		|-----------|
Pin Phase	|   _____   |		|  _______  |
		|  /     \  |	  or	|  \     /  |