[comp.sys.mac] upgrading Laserjet series II to PostScript

rupp@cod.NOSC.MIL (William L. rupp) (07/26/88)

-------

I am very eager to obtain information about upgrading an HP LaserJet
series II to PostScript capability.  Presumeably this would be a
board installed in the printer.  Specifically, I would like to know:

	1. Identify of manufacturer, address, telephone
	2. Name of product
	3. Cost of product
	4. How much memory is needed to print graphics (from Paint, Draw, etc.)
	5. AppleTalk availability (some PostScript upgrades are for MS-DOG
	   micros only).

Thanks for your help.

Bill
rupp@nosc.mil

alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (07/26/88)

In article <1169@cod.NOSC.MIL> rupp@cod.NOSC.MIL (William L. rupp) writes:
>I am very eager to obtain information about upgrading an HP LaserJet
>series II to PostScript capability. [...]
>	1. Identify of manufacturer, address, telephone
>	2. Name of product
>	3. Cost of product
>	4. How much memory is needed to print graphics (from Paint, Draw, etc.)
>	5. AppleTalk availability (some PostScript upgrades are for MS-DOG
>	   micros only).

I believe that the only such product is a board from 'The Laser Connection',
a subsidiary of QMS. Try them at 1-800-523-2696. That's probably not the right
number, but they can tell you where to call.

The 'JetScript' is a replacement (add-on?) controller board for LaserJets that
has a complete Postscript interpreter. A LaserJet with the JetScript should be
100% compatible with the LaserWriter Plus, PS V.47, including all hardware
(like ports).

I think it comes with 2 MB of RAM. This is 1/2 MB more than the LW+.

I have no personal experience with this product, so I can't praise it or flame
it. I do know that QMS turns out some pretty nice stuff usually.

----
Alexis Rosen                       {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Writing from                                {harpo,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!alexis
The Big Electric Cat                  {portal,well,sun}!hoptoad/
Public UNIX                         if mail fails: ...cmcl2!cucard!cunixc!abr1
Best path: uunet!dasys1!alexis

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (08/06/88)

In article <5748@dasys1.UUCP> alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>In article <1169@cod.NOSC.MIL> rupp@cod.NOSC.MIL (William L. rupp) writes:
>>I am very eager to obtain information about upgrading an HP LaserJet
>>series II to PostScript capability. [...]
>
>The 'JetScript' is a replacement (add-on?) controller board for LaserJets that
>has a complete Postscript interpreter. A LaserJet with the JetScript should be
>100% compatible with the LaserWriter Plus, PS V.47, including all hardware
>(like ports).

I checked with QMS about this too. The JetScript board goes in your PC
so this solution does not work on a Mac.

The board costs about $2500 and brings the total cost of a PostScript
LaserJet to about $4500.  I decided to sell the LaserJet and get the
QMS PS 810--which I'm very happy with.

Shirley Kehr @felix

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (08/10/88)

The JetScript product is a board and enclosure top that replaces the
top and controller board of a LaserJet. We have one running with a MacII.
The total cost of a LaserJet and a JetScript is more then that of a
Postscript printer. On the otherhand, if you already have a LaserJet, the
price of JetScript beats purchasing a new postscript printer then using
your LaserJet as a door stop.

We have not encountered any problems using the JetScripted Laserjet with
the Mac.

TeriAnn Wakeman