[comp.sys.mac] Fonts and FullWrite

jjs@juggler.PRC.Unisys.COM (James Solderitsch) (07/29/88)

I just downloaded one of the Adobe screen fonts (Palatino I think) from
Compuserve, unpit'd it, opened it with Suitcase, and then opened
Fullwrite.

The font names appeared ok in the FullWrite font menu, but the spacings
were incorrect on the screen.  For example, typing in a string of
i's showed varying widths -- the spacing between successive i's was
not uniform.  I've also noticed that my copies of Helvetica also
don't appear spaced correctly on the screen.

I recall an insert in the FullWrite package that warned about old versions
of Font/DA mover and the munging of fractional width info and I suspect
this is the problem (although i haven't as yet touched the suitcase
file I got directly from Adobe with Font/DA mover.)

Could some kind soul enlighten me on whether this is the problem
(that is, bad fractional width info in the font file) and what steps
I can take to correct it (if any).  I vaguely recall that simply copying
the font to another suitcase file (with Font/DA mover 3.6 or greater)
corrects bad fractional width info.

---

Now for something (almost) completely different.

I am running FullWrite under system 6.0 (multifinder), and when I save files and
do get info from the Finder, the files are labeled as FullWrite dictionary
(or FullWrite Glossary) files instead of standard FullWrite document files.
Thus I can't double click on them.

I also vaguely recall that such a problem might simply be that the
FullWrite files don't all have their bundle bits properly set and that this
problem is really due to faulty quality control at Ashton-Tate.

Any info on either of these subjects appreciated.

(BTW, I'm running a Plus, 2.5 megs, Imagewriter I, 20 meg SCSI HD)

Thanks,

Jim Solderitsch

USENET: sdcrdcf!burdvax!jjs
        {sjuvax,ihnp4,akgua,cadre}!psuvax1!burdvax!jjs
ARPANET: jjs@burdvax.prc.unisys.com

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (08/01/88)

In article <7109@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> jjs@juggler.PRC.Unisys.COM (James Solderitsch) writes:
>Now for something (almost) completely different.
>
>I am running FullWrite under system 6.0 (multifinder), and when I save files and
>do get info from the Finder, the files are labeled as FullWrite dictionary
>(or FullWrite Glossary) files instead of standard FullWrite document files.
>Thus I can't double click on them.
>
>I also vaguely recall that such a problem might simply be that the
>FullWrite files don't all have their bundle bits properly set and that this
>problem is really due to faulty quality control at Ashton-Tate.

You're correct, at least in that you need to switch off the Bundle Bit on
the FullWrite dictionary and glossary with ResEdit, Disktop or some such
creature, and your problems should be fixed.

Apparently, this doesn't happen with the System 5.0 software, so the source
to blame is indefinite.  I'm certainly not going to get into finger-pointing
over it....

I had heard rumors that Ashton-Tate was going to mail out dictionaries and
glossaries to their FullWrite customers, assuming that they were too
technically limited to do the bit-switching themselves (probably justified
in most cases).  Never saw such a disk, though, so I guess it was just a
rumor...

                    He's hard as rock, tough as nails, dense as concrete.
                    He's...
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (08/01/88)

>Apparently, this doesn't happen with the System 5.0 software, so the source
>to blame is indefinite.  I'm certainly not going to get into finger-pointing
>over it....

It was an oopsie in the A-T QA department. They got bit by something that
was warned of in a tech note a while back, but which wasn't functional until
System 6.0.

>I had heard rumors that Ashton-Tate was going to mail out dictionaries and
>glossaries to their FullWrite customers, assuming that they were too
>technically limited to do the bit-switching themselves (probably justified
>in most cases).  Never saw such a disk, though, so I guess it was just a
>rumor...

No, it's not a rumor. Call up A-T Tech support, and they'll send you a new
disk. This is primarily for the 'Resedit? What's that?' audience. It's a lot
easier, faster, and cheaper to just turn off the bundle bits.

--
Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

I don't work for no 'Toon!

ludis@m2-net.UUCP (Ludis Langens) (08/10/88)

In article <7109@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> jjs@juggler.PRC.Unisys.COM (James Solderitsch) writes:
>The font names appeared ok in the FullWrite font menu, but the spacings
>were incorrect on the screen.  For example, typing in a string of
>i's showed varying widths -- the spacing between successive i's was
>not uniform.  I've also noticed that my copies of Helvetica also
>don't appear spaced correctly on the screen.

The behaviour you see is correct.  That is how QuickDraw aproximates
drawing fonts with fractional widths.

>I am running FullWrite under system 6.0 (multifinder), and when I save files and
>do get info from the Finder, the files are labeled as FullWrite dictionary
>(or FullWrite Glossary) files instead of standard FullWrite document files.
>Thus I can't double click on them.

Clear the bundle bits on the Dictionary and Thesaurus files with ResEdit
and rebuild your desktop.  Alternately, request a new dictionary disk from
your dealer.  This was fixed some time ago.

Ludis Langens						umix!m-net!ludis