[comp.sys.mac] PMMU goes where?

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (08/09/88)

I just got a PMMU for my Mac II so that I could run A/UX. Unfortunately,
the only instructions that came with the little stinker were to have it
installed by my local Apple dealer (fat chance...). Can anybody tell me
where to plug the thing in? Where does it go?

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
UUCP: husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop
BITNET: JHARRY@BENTLEY

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (08/10/88)

In article <637@stech.UUCP> sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
>I just got a PMMU for my Mac II so that I could run A/UX. Unfortunately,
>the only instructions that came with the little stinker were to have it
>installed by my local Apple dealer (fat chance...). Can anybody tell me
>where to plug the thing in? Where does it go?

How to install a PMMU in a Mac II:

(a) Power down the unit, remove all cables.
(b) Pop the top cover.  Don't forget the Phillips head screw in the
    back if you haven't already thrown it away.
(c) Remove floppy/internal hard disk cabling.
(d) Remove the four Phillips head screws holding the disk mounting plate
    in place.  Lift away the mounting plate and any attached drives.
(e) Directly behind the MC68020, in socket U67 on my board, you will find a
    black metal device with markings which look something like this:

			8735A
			V1064

	3 43-0002-1
	M C APPLE '86

    (It's near the speaker, Jack!)

(f) One corner of the black metal device has a distinctive marking on it
    which lines up with a number "1" on the motherboard.  If you are
    looking at the Mac II from the front, this corner is the rightmost,
    nearest corner.  The PMMU goes in this socket, oriented the same way,
    after the black metal device has been removed.
(g) Reverse order of disassembly.

------------READ ME READ ME READ ME READ ME READ ME READ ME------------

Disclaimer: This device when purchased comes with a card which clearly
states "This upgrade must be installed at an authorized Apple Service
Center."  The message is printed in seven languages, no less.  Neither
Dartmouth College, Thayer School of Engineering, Apple Computer
Company, Earle Horton, nor USENET makes any claim that the procedure
described hereinabove bears any resemblance to the actual procedure(s)
necessary to install any chip anywhere.  Furthermore, anyone following
these instructions does so completely at his/her own risk.

------------READ ME READ ME READ ME READ ME READ ME READ ME------------

Specific steps have been left out of these instructions.  If you need
to be told how to ground yourself when handling a $600.00 chip,
perhaps the installation SHOULD be done at an authorized Apple
Computer Service Center.  If there is else anything of a basic nature
I have left out, you better figure it out before you start.

Mr. Spock!  This disk is damaged!  Do you want to initialize it?

Earle R. Horton.  H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755

jwhitnell@cup.portal.com (08/11/88)

Jan Harrington writes...
|I iust got a PMMU for my Mac II so that I could run A/UX. Unfortunately,
|the only instructions that came with the little stinker were to have it
|installed by my local Apple dealer (fat chance...). Can anybody tell me
|where to plug the thing in? Where does it go?

On the Mac II mother board, there are three large sqaure ICs.  Two
have gold covers (like the PMMU), while one is in an all-black package.
The two with the gold covers are the 68020 and the 68881.  Remove the
all-black IC and place the PMMU in its place.  You can remove it by
very-very carefully lifting the edges with a screw-driver (lift each
edge just a little at a time so the chip lifts out evenly). Then press
the PMMU in it's place, again very carefully.

Jerry

--
Jerry Whitnell
jwhitnell@cup.portal.com