[comp.sys.mac] spontaneous renaming of Mac files

rupp@cod.NOSC.MIL (William L. rupp) (07/28/88)

A user here at NOSC is having an interesting problem with her SE.  When
she launches an application, the name under the application's icon
changes to a dash (-).  She can see this happen in the split-second
before the application's window opens.  When she exists the application,
the name is still a dash.  This has happened with MicroPhone (sp?) and
at least one other program.

A second problem is that when she is using Excel, cells which contain
data suddenly change, their data being replaced by dashes (do I detect
a pattern here?).  I believe this happens only to some of the cells.

She is using Finder 6.0 and System 4.2.

If you have any idea about the cause of these problems, we would
appreciate hearing from you.

Bill
Computer Resource Center/ Naval Ocean Systems Center (San Diego)
rupp@nosc.mil

bob@eecs.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (07/28/88)

It sounds to me like her dash key is sticking, or activating at random
times. This would change the application name (after the first mouse down,
just as if you were trying to change it). Clean or repair the keyboard.

Bob Hablutzel		Northwestern University ACNS Development (whew!)

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (07/28/88)

>she launches an application, the name under the application's icon
>changes to a dash (-).  She can see this happen in the split-second
>before the application's window opens.  When she exists the application,
>
>A second problem is that when she is using Excel, cells which contain
>data suddenly change, their data being replaced by dashes (do I detect
   Her keyboard or mouse is probably tweaked. Have her check that all the mouse
and keyboard cables are tight, then open keycaps. Watch the keyboard. Does the
dash key flicker occasionally? If so its the keyboard. Click a few times.
  Does the dash key flicker? Its the mouse (try this with the mouse plugged into
the keybard and the back.)

   Pierce
wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu     Race For Space Grand Prize Winner.
   Useless Advice #986: Never sit on a Tack.

rmh@Apple.COM (Rick Holzgrafe) (07/29/88)

In article <1173@cod.NOSC.MIL> rupp@cod.NOSC.MIL (William L. rupp) writes:
>A user here at NOSC is having an interesting problem with her SE.  When
>she launches an application, the name under the application's icon
>changes to a dash (-).  She can see this happen in the split-second
>before the application's window opens.  When she exists the application,
>the name is still a dash.  [...]
>
>A second problem is that when she is using Excel, cells which contain
>data suddenly change, their data being replaced by dashes [...]

A guess: the SE's keyboard is flaky, producing dashes as though someone
were occasionally leaning on the dash key. If this happens when text is
selected, the selected text will of course be replaced by the dash.

When you select an icon in the Finder, its name highlights, and is selected
for editing. (I hear that a lot of people don't know that: it's how you
change a file's name, just click the icon and type.) Your next click, if
you are double-clicking, launches the application. If the keyboard fires a
dash between your clicks, it will rename your file.

Try running a word processor: open an untitled document and take your
hands off the keyboard. If dashes appear "by magic", I think you can
blame the keyboard. Next try your keyboard on someone else's Mac. If the
same problem appears, that clinches it.

There is also a chance that something else on ADB (the mouse, that means),
or the Mac's ADB hardware itself, is at fault. If the keyboard is not
the culprit, take the whole shootin' match to a shop.

Good luck...

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1    rmh@apple.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 27-O |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

nicky@cup.portal.com (07/29/88)

This is interesting.  I had a similiar problem.  I had a fractal drawing
program (my own) in the background and the finder in the foreground.  Any
finder icon's text that I touched turned into dashes.  I discovered that my
program was indeed the culprit as I was generating auto-key events in
the background intentionally (a real kludge to fool the screen-blanker).

Maybe this will help.

nicky@cup.portal.com

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (07/30/88)

In article <1173@cod.NOSC.MIL> rupp@cod.NOSC.MIL (William L. rupp) writes:
>A user here at NOSC is having an interesting problem with her SE.  When
>she launches an application, the name under the application's icon
>changes to a dash (-).  She can see this happen in the split-second
>before the application's window opens.  When she exists the application,
>the name is still a dash.  This has happened with MicroPhone (sp?) and
>at least one other program.

Check your KeyCaps.  My guess is your dash (-) key is stuck, so, as
soon as you click on an application, it changes the name.  Same for
excel as soon as you click on a cell.

Ken

Ken Hancock  '90                   | BITNET/UUCP: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Personal Computing Ctr Consultant  |
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER?  I don't get paid enough to worry about disclaimers.

caldara@Alliant.COM (Steve Caldara) (08/01/88)

I had the same problem and it was caused by low AC line voltage.   Th e problem
would come and go depending on how hot it was outside.  I would check this
first before replacing hardware.
					-steve

--
UUCP:    {attunix | linus | mit-eddie | suneast}!alliant!caldara
US mail: Alliant Computer Systems; One Monarch Dr.; Littleton, MA. 01460

tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) (08/11/88)

In article <1173@cod.NOSC.MIL> rupp@cod.NOSC.MIL (William L. rupp) writes:
>A user here at NOSC is having an interesting problem with her SE.  When
>she launches an application, the name under the application's icon
>changes to a dash (-).  She can see this happen in the split-second
>before the application's window opens.  When she exists the application,
>the name is still a dash.  This has happened with MicroPhone (sp?) and
>at least one other program.

The system was installed incorrectly.  Perhaps she used the "Macintosh Plus"
installation.  Re-install using either the "Macintosh SE", "Macintosh II",
or "Minimal Macintosh SE".  If you are using a disk which is likely to be
used on other systems (floppy or external HD), I recommend the "Macintosh II"
installation.

						_emt