[comp.sys.mac] Correction to my last posting on stripping the system...

G.GUTOW@MACBETH.STANFORD.EDU (Jonathan Gutow) (07/27/88)

I reported that I'd had some problem running Resedit after stripping some of
the old patches and the stuff for the Mac II and SE's from system 4.1 on a
plus.  I blew it.
	Resedit works fine.  Somehow I managed to corrupt my copies of the
program.
	I strongly recommend stripping the system file in the manner suggested.
It works well and saves a lot of space: ~170k.

			Jon

Gutow@bacall.stanford.edu (preferred over where the message came from)
-------

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (07/28/88)

In article <12417515377.19.G.GUTOW@MACBETH.STANFORD.EDU> G.GUTOW@MACBETH.STANFORD.EDU (Jonathan Gutow) writes:
>	Resedit works fine...
>	I strongly recommend stripping the system file in the manner suggested.
>It works well and saves a lot of space: ~170k.

System Tools 6.0 comes with three "Minimal System" Installer scripts.
I feel a lot more comfortable using these than hacking with ResEdit.
You still have to remove Chooser, Control Panel, etc. if you want a
truly minimal System, but Apple has done most of the work for you.

Earle R. Horton.  H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755

dtw@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Duane Williams) (07/28/88)

| System Tools 6.0 comes with three "Minimal System" Installer scripts.
| I feel a lot more comfortable using these than hacking with ResEdit.
| You still have to remove Chooser, Control Panel, etc. if you want a
| truly minimal System, but Apple has done most of the work for you.

Can someone say, in detail, what the differences are between the "Standard
System" (as generated by Apple's Installer) and the "Minimal System"?  I do
not feel particularly comfortable allowing undocumented Installer scripts to
hack up my system resources.  I would feel a lot better about it if Apple
provided a detailed specification of what their Installer scripts do, and
why its being done.

P.S. Someone should start a company called "Look and Feel Software, Inc."
and register "Look and Feel" as their trademark.
--
uucp: ...!seismo!cmucspt!me.ri.cmu.edu!dtw
arpa: dtw@cs.cmu.edu

ring@cg-atla.UUCP (Steve Ring) (07/29/88)

In article <2452@pt.cs.cmu.edu> dtw@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Duane Williams) writes:

>| System Tools 6.0 comes with three "Minimal System" Installer scripts.
>| I feel a lot more comfortable using these than hacking with ResEdit.
>| You still have to remove Chooser, Control Panel, etc. if you want a
>| truly minimal System, but Apple has done most of the work for you.
>
>Can someone say, in detail, what the differences are between the "Standard
>System" (as generated by Apple's Installer) and the "Minimal System"?  I do
>not feel particularly comfortable allowing undocumented Installer scripts to
>hack up my system resources.  I would feel a lot better about it if Apple
>provided a detailed specification of what their Installer scripts do, and
>why its being done.

Whats really needed is some detailed information about what is in the System
file, why it is there, and for certain Mac configurations what is necessary
and what can be removed. Then, us people with Mac+ can get rid of MacII
stuff. Looks like System 6.0 does it, but many people are still 1/2
revisions behind, with software that works on Finder 5.5 (System 4.1).

Thus
System 4.1/Finder 5.5		System 4.2/Finder 6.0
(... ... MAC II only)		(... ... MAC II Only)

etc...--
...!{decvax,ima,ism780c,ulowell,laidbak,cgeuro,cg-f}!cg-atla!ring
Steve Ring
CompuGraphic Corp.
Wilmington, Mass., 01887, (617) 658-5600, x5092

atchison@hpindda.HP.COM (Lee Atchison) (08/02/88)

Can someone send me a copy of an installer script for the Mac +?  I have
the system release right before 6.0 (the one that works with multifinder,
is that 4.2?).

Otherwise, would someone send me a list of the purgable resources for
a Plus?  I hadn't read notes for a few days and our system purged the old
notes that provided the list (sniff).

Thanks in advance.

			-lee
----
Lee Atchison
Hewlett Packard, Business Networks Division
Cupertino, CA 95014
atchison%hpindda@hplabs.hp.com

tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) (08/11/88)

In article <2452@pt.cs.cmu.edu> dtw@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Duane Williams) writes:
>Can someone say, in detail, what the differences are between the "Standard
>System" (as generated by Apple's Installer) and the "Minimal System"?  I do
>not feel particularly comfortable allowing undocumented Installer scripts to
>hack up my system resources.  I would feel a lot better about it if Apple
>provided a detailed specification of what their Installer scripts do, and
>why its being done.

I can't describe in full graphic detail what the six installer scripts do,
but I can sort of describe the relationship between them:

				Macintosh II
				    / \
				   /   \
			Macintosh SE	Minimal Macintosh II
			    / \
			   /   \
		Macintosh Plus	Minimal Macintosh SE
		      \
		       \
			Minimal Macintosh Plus

The Macintosh II installation installs every resource on the system disk.
The Macintosh SE and Minimal Macintosh II are disjoint subsets of that
installation.  In addition, the system file is identical after any of the
non-minimal installations; the only difference between the Macintosh II,
Macintosh SE, and Macintosh Plus installations is the absence or presence
of various other system files, most notably, "Color", "Monitors", and
"Startup Device".

The Minimal installer scripts always install a subset of their corresponding
non-minimal scripts, most notably in the system file.  The Minimal Macintosh
SE script, for example, does not install the Macintosh Plus or Macintosh II
patch resources, any color resources, or any other resources pertinent only
to the Macintosh II or Macintosh Plus.  A system installed in this way will
refuse to boot on any CPU other than the one it was installed on and will
display an alert to that effect.

						_emt