[comp.sys.mac] system 6.0.1

ncmagel@ndsuvax.UUCP (ken magel) (08/11/88)

   It appears that the bug-fix System 6.0.1 is not yet out.  It was originally
scheduled to appear some time ago.  DOes anyone have an informed estimate
as to when we can expect to see it now?  Is there a list of bugs which it
fixes available?  Are delays due to the intricate interactions among pieces
of the system because of the patches upon patches which have been applied to
it?  Some of the messages in comp.sys.mac.programmer demonstrate that the
Apple programmers did not always use the best software engineering principles.
Is this an example of the value of religiously following those principles?
    Will the lengthy delay in 6.0.1 mean a substantial delay in the
appearance of 7.0?  Might 6.0.1 be merged with 7.0 and appear under that
number?
     My dealer refuses to release system 6.0 and cites Apple policy to support
this decision.  Is this Apple policy or should the dealer be providing the
upgrade with appropriate warnings?  If the dealer should be providing
system 6.0, how should he/she be made to do so?

dxjsb@dcatla.UUCP (Jack S. Brindle) (08/13/88)

In article <1106@ndsuvax.UUCP> ncmagel@ndsuvax.UUCP (ken magel) writes:

>   It appears that the bug-fix System 6.0.1 is not yet out.  It was originally
>scheduled to appear some time ago.  DOes anyone have an informed estimate
>as to when we can expect to see it now?  Is there a list of bugs which it
>fixes available?  Are delays due to the intricate interactions among pieces

The latest copy of "Apple Viewpoints" states that 6.0.1 should be released
on August 15. I guess we will have to wait until Monday to find out.

>    Will the lengthy delay in 6.0.1 mean a substantial delay in the
>appearance of 7.0?  Might 6.0.1 be merged with 7.0 and appear under that
>number?

I have seen information (someone from Apple might confirm this) that says
7.0 is due out in January. I wonder if that will coincide with the release
of new machines? (Bet no one at Apple will confirm this ;-).

>     My dealer refuses to release system 6.0 and cites Apple policy to support
>this decision.  Is this Apple policy or should the dealer be providing the
>upgrade with appropriate warnings?  If the dealer should be providing
>system 6.0, how should he/she be made to do so?

Sounds like we have a proliferation of Bozo dealers. If 6.0.1 is much better
than 6.0 I don't know how we will stand it. We have found 6.0 to be VERY
good, unless you want sound to work nicely on a Plus...

Jack Brindle