[comp.sys.mac] uncompressing FullWrite

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (08/06/88)

A couple of months ago, when FullWrite was first released, someone said that
they had something to uncompress the CODE resources of FullWrite so that it
would load faster.  I never managed to get a copy of this da/fkey/whatever.

If anyone has such an utility, could you send it to me.

thanks,

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow          |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-607-272-8014   Address: 107 Catherine St, Ithaca NY 14850    |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

jmunkki@santra.HUT.FI (Juri Munkki) (08/10/88)

In article <5798@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) writes:

>A couple of months ago, when FullWrite was first released, someone said that
>they had something to uncompress the CODE resources of FullWrite so that it
>would load faster.  I never managed to get a copy of this da/fkey/whatever.
>
>If anyone has such an utility, could you send it to me.

I wrote about the FKEY... I never wrote an FKEY to uncompress *ALL* the
FullWrite code resources. The only thing mine did was to uncompress the
printing code so that I could make changes to it.

I haven't had time to write a friendly version of this FKEY. Please
remember that there is a big difference between code that I write for
my own purposes and code that gets used by thousands of innocent users.

Juri Munkki
jmunkki@santra.hut.fi
jmunkki@fingate.bitnet

cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy "Shooter" Shuster) (08/13/88)

In article <5798@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) writes:

>A couple of months ago, when FullWrite was first released, someone said that
>they had something to uncompress the CODE resources of FullWrite so that it
>would load faster.  I never managed to get a copy of this da/fkey/whatever.

According to Dennis Cohen, the time saved would be less than 5% of the total
load time, because their algorithm is so good.

--Cy--