[comp.sys.mac] Continuum questions

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (08/05/88)

Can someone please give me a few "Continuum" hints?  Like, what are the
beach balls?  Why do I sometimes explode when I hit a wall?
(e-mail if you don't want to tell the whole world these "tricks"!)

Thanks!

-Ted

paul@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Paul Meyer) (08/08/88)

In article <870202@hpcilzb.HP.COM> tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:

>Can someone please give me a few "Continuum" hints?  Like, what are the
>beach balls?  Why do I sometimes explode when I hit a wall?
>(e-mail if you don't want to tell the whole world these "tricks"!)

	Beach balls are craters.  They don't affect the game at all.  They
are just there as background.
	There are three different types of wall (they all look the same):
regular, bouncing, and phantom.  Regular walls absorb bullets and kill you
if you run into them.  Bouncing walls reflect both bullets and you.
Phantom walls (on higher levels) aren't really there.  Bullets and your
ship pass through the walls.

Paul Meyer
Microsystems Technology Lab
MIT

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (08/08/88)

In article <1215@mit-caf.MIT.EDU> paul@mit-caf.UUCP (Paul Meyer) writes:
>In article <870202@hpcilzb.HP.COM> tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:
>>
>>Can someone please give me a few "Continuum" hints?  Like, what are the
>>beach balls?  Why do I sometimes explode when I hit a wall?
>>(e-mail if you don't want to tell the whole world these "tricks"!)
>
>	Beach balls are craters.  They don't affect the game at all.  They
>are just there as background.

Come on folks, let's read the help files that come with the game.  The
Beach balls are NOT craters, they DO affect the game.  Why?  That's how
you refuel/gain more fuel.

On a compatability note, I've heard bug reports of it bombing out
on MacPlus and MacSE under System 5.0.  It works find under System 6.0
on a MacPlus as the docs say.

Ken

Ken Hancock  '90                   | BITNET/UUCP: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Personal Computing Ctr Consultant  |
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER?  I don't get paid enough to worry about disclaimers.

In article <9699@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) writes:
>In article <1215@mit-caf.MIT.EDU> paul@mit-caf.UUCP (Paul Meyer) writes:
>>In article <870202@hpcilzb.HP.COM> tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:
>>>
>>>Can someone please give me a few "Continuum" hints?  Like, what are the
>>
>>	Beach balls are craters.  They don't affect the game at all.  They
>>are just there as background.
>
>Come on folks, let's read the help files that come with the game.  The
>Beach balls are NOT craters, they DO affect the game.  Why?  That's how
>you refuel/gain more fuel.

	Sorry, I confused Beach Balls with the ovals.  The ovals are craters
and don't affect the game at all.  I have read the help files, but they
don't cover craters.
	By the way, if you have trouble with a level telling which walls
bounce, etc, use the planet editor to examine that planet.  It labels
bouncing walls with a (b) and phantom walls with a (p).
	How are people doing?  I've only managed to get to level 27,
and only after playing more than I can afford to for a week!  This thing
is addicting.
	Has anybody made up any good galaxies of their own yet?  I offer
myself as a "beta-tester" for any galaxy creators out there.  E-mail
them to me.

Paul Meyer
paul@caf.mit.edu
Microsystems Technology Laboratory
MIT

her3@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Benjamin 'Drew' Herman) (08/10/88)

In article <1215@mit-caf.MIT.EDU> paul@mit-caf.UUCP (Paul Meyer) writes:
>In article <870202@hpcilzb.HP.COM> tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:
>>
>>Can someone please give me a few "Continuum" hints?  Like, what are the
>
>	Beach balls are craters.  They don't affect the game at all.  They
>Paul Meyer

this should be unneccessary since the on line documentation is great... as
it the supplemental documentation.... however Paul makes one mistake
I believe the "Beach balls" being talked about are the fuel cells
To absorb the fuel activate your sheild when over them.

Ben "I love this game" Herman

--
Internet: her3@sphinx.uchicago.edu
BITNET:   her3@sphinx.uchicago.bitnet

her3@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Benjamin 'Drew' Herman) (08/10/88)

>bounce, etc, use the planet editor to examine that planet.  It labels
>bouncing walls with a (b) and phantom walls with a (p).
>	How are people doing?  I've only managed to get to level 27,
>and only after playing more than I can afford to for a week!  This thing
>is addicting.
--Paul

The map is a real help It tells you what wall bounce and which do not.

--- How do you get past level 9... ????

Ben "shot in the end" Herman

--

fiatlux@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (David Vangerov) (08/10/88)

In article <4519@sphinx.uchicago.edu> her3@sphinx.uchicago.edu.UUCP (Benjamin 'Drew' Herman) writes:
>>bounce, etc, use the planet editor to examine that planet.  It labels
>>bouncing walls with a (b) and phantom walls with a (p).
>>	How are people doing?  I've only managed to get to level 27,
>>and only after playing more than I can afford to for a week!  This thing
>>is addicting.
>--Paul
>
>The map is a real help It tells you what wall bounce and which do not.
>
>--- How do you get past level 9... ????

Level 9 is a bitch, even more than 10 is. I finally got past it
after numerous attempts. The only solution is to take your time
on it, stay away from the walls and shoot at everything...

I'd like to add my name to the list of those people who like this
game. It's great! Some of the levels provided with the game are
almost impossible! However, I'm learning the game better as time
goes on and have figured out tricks for it.

I'm not up to designing my own galaxies, but I'll gladly play any
that someone comes up with. I do have a few suggestions for
making the planet editor a bit easier to use and it would be nice
to get it to take advantage of large screens, not so much for
game play, but for designing the planet.

Oh well, maybe if enough people send in their money for this
it'll prompt the Wilson brothers to upgrade the game (not that it
isn't great already). It's a great game and I'm completely
addicted.

|		     	        David Vangerov				     |
|    Just your average Theater Arts major with a weird thing for computers   |
| fiatlux@ucscc.BITNET || fiatlux@ucscc.ucsc.EDU || ...!ucbvax!ucscc!fiatlux |

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (08/13/88)

>I have an SE running System 4.2. I presume this
>means it also crashes with Suitcase?

Works fine on my machine with suitcase running. I'm running in 2 meg with
system release 5.0.

--
Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

I don't work for no 'Toon!