[comp.sys.mac] 6.0 What works - what doesn't?

Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com (08/08/88)

Can someone point me to a source wherein I can read all about
what works with system 6.0 and what doesn't?

I have discovered the following on my 2.5 Mb Mac+ with HD-20:

MS-Word 3.01 and Excell 1.5 work fine under Multifinder, but crash
at the first menu click under Finder only.  (Address error.)

LS-P 1.0 also works under Multifinder, but instantly crashes under
Finder only as soon as I click anywhere in the 'Run Options'
dialog box.

I removed all INIT's and observed all of the above crashes.  I installed
6.0 using the proper installer script

Any guidance would be appreciated.

*   Michael G Newman            |  mike_g_newman@cup.portal.com *
*   Now Or Never                |  MCI: mnewman (333-1196)      *
*   P.O. Box 1510               |  voice: (670) 234-7726        *
*   Saipan MP 96950             |                               *

cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) (08/09/88)

In article <7988@cup.portal.com> Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com writes:
>Can someone point me to a source wherein I can read all about
>what works with system 6.0 and what doesn't?
>
>I have discovered the following on my 2.5 Mb Mac+ with HD-20:
>
>MS-Word 3.01 and Excell 1.5 work fine under Multifinder, but crash
>at the first menu click under Finder only.  (Address error.)

Get the upgrade to 3.02.  I've had no problems w/ 3.02 and 6.0 under
uni-finder or multifinder.  I've even been able to put 3.02 on the same
floppy w/ a minimum 6.0 script and a decent number of ps fonts.  (Inc. 10
and 12 pt sizes of all of the LaserWritePlus serif fonts, Zapf Dingbats
12 pt., Times 9 pt., and Courier 9 pt.  (All of them are Adobe screen
fonts except Courier 9 which is an Apple font.)  The required fonts are
also there.  The only think I've found is that I'll have to add Monoco 12
(I think) to get decent displays of Word Help.

An aside:  What I wouldn't do for a hard drive!!!!!!

BTW, the upgrae should be free.

-JimC
--
batcomputer!cloos@cornell.UUCP  |James H. Cloos, Jr.|#include <disclaimer.h>
cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.EDU|B7 Upson, Cornell U|#include <cute_stuff.h>

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (08/10/88)

In article <5832@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> cloos@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) writes:
>In article <7988@cup.portal.com> Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com writes:
>>MS-Word 3.01 and Excell 1.5 work fine under Multifinder, but crash
>>at the first menu click under Finder only.  (Address error.)

     How do they (Apple) do this?  You either have to believe that
MicroSoft delibrately takes shortcuts which they know will compromise
the future integrity of their software, or that Apple Computer Company
does not fully document their operating system, perhaps even
internally.  I know what I believe.  This kind of thing becomes a
serious problem when you consider the small independent third party
developer who has to divert his entire work force from productive
activity because someone at Apple has arbitrarily changed the way
things work, apparently without telling anyone.  Many of these guys, I
am sure, are having serious thoughts about trying restaurant
management, fighting oil rig fires, or ANYTHING less stressful than
Macintosh programming.

> The only think I've found is that I'll have to add Monoco 12
>(I think) to get decent displays of Word Help.

Try Geneva 10.

Mr. Spock!  This disk is damaged!  Do you want to initialize it?

Earle R. Horton.  H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755

cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) (08/10/88)

In article <9713@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) writes:
>In article <5832@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> I <cloos@...> write:
>> The only think I've found is that I'll have to add Monoco 12
>>(I think) to get decent displays of Word Help.
>
>Try Geneva 10.

Hmmm.  I thought that was in there.  Oh well, so much for paying attention
to what I install. ;^)  Anyway, does anyone out there know how I can change
the font Word uses from Geneva to Times?  I prefer Times much more than
Geneva (though I don't tend to need to use the Help feature much anymore).

I've not yet found anything in the resources that would let me do this, but
then I've missed obvious--and not so obvious--stuff before in resources.
I've also got a copy of Fedit accessible if the mod is easier using a disk
editor.

While I'm on this subject, can a similar mod be made to the System?  I
would prefer to use Times for Geneva and Courier for Monoco globally.  I've
already set the Finder's LAYO in most of my coppies (floppies, you know) to
use Times, but would like it to apply to other programs as well.

Thanks,

-JimC
--

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (08/10/88)

In article <5850@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> cloos@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) writes:
(
(While I'm on this subject, can a similar mod be made to the System?  I
(would prefer to use Times for Geneva and Courier for Monoco globally.  I've
(already set the Finder's LAYO in most of my coppies (floppies, you know) to
(use Times, but would like it to apply to other programs as well.

I believe that you can change the parameter RAM to indicate different
default system and application fonts to replace the use of Chicago and
Geneva by setting the appropriate parameters to the font numbers (I am not
sure about changing the default system font).  Applications which use the
default, including Finder, will be affected; other applications (MS Word,
for instance) may choose their own default, in which case you would have to
patch them somehow.  Utilities to examine and modify PRAM should be
available in the various archives (called PRAM something-or-other).

	/JBL

UUCP: {backbone}!bbn!levin     USPS: BBN Communications Corporation
ARPA: levin@bbn.com                  150 CambridgePark Drive
POTS: (617) 873-3463                 Cambridge, MA  02140

rob@uokmax.UUCP (Robert K Shull) (08/11/88)

In article <9713@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) writes:
>MicroSoft delibrately takes shortcuts which they know will compromise
>the future integrity of their software, or that Apple Computer Company
>does not fully document their operating system, perhaps even
>internally.  I know what I believe.  This kind of thing becomes a

I've used Microsoft products since the early Apple ][ days, and I know
what I believe. It doesn't surprise me at all that they (and a great number
of other companies) ignore the published info in favor of speed, compactness,
or maybe just laziness. It's kind of interesting to haul out old software
when a new system release comes out, and see what still works. I've noticed
something: a great deal of software doesn't work on a Mac II, doesn't work
under Multifinder, doesn't work under System 6.0, etc, individually or
together. The software that DOES work on one of these usually works on them
all. I've seen a LOT of obvious mistakes (things that break on a Mac II
that were "bad practice" in IM vol. 1)
I don't mean that Apple never changes things, but I think a lot more of
the problems are caused by "cheating" than by changes from Apple.
	Robert
--
Robert K. Shull
University of Oklahoma, Engineering Computer Network

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) (08/14/88)

In article <4962@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> Richard Crispin writes:
|I have not had a crash that I can attribute for sure to System 6.0. I use
|Word 3.01 & Excel 1.5 without a problem. Initally I had trouble but once I
|removed MacroMaker everything was ok again. I think MacroMaker is a piece
|of very unstable code and should never be used.

It seems that everyone is an expert these days.  People are more than willing
to proclaim to the public that FOO is full of bugs, or that their hard disk
was wiped out after they used FOO, or that FOO crashed their machine, so it
must contain one of those dreaded viruses.

Come on people!  Comments like this aren't helpful at all.  Just because you
have trouble using something doesn't mean that its "a piece of very unstable
code and should never be used."   For all you know, MacroMaker is quite solid
having run for the past year inside Apple as someone's personal hack, and is
only now being released to the public.

If you want to be helpful, go into a little more detail, such as:

	I have a Mac II with 5MB of memory and running standard System 6.0
	software with no extra INITs or DAs.  I also have a 40MB internal
	Apple winchester.  When I tried to run Word 3.01 and Excel 1.5 on my
	system, I initially had some problems, but I noticed that if I removed
	MacroMaker, that the problems went away.  Has anyone else had problems
	that went away when you removed MacroMaker?

--
	Roger L. Long
	dhw68k!bytebug