[comp.sys.mac] To "Robert L. Wald" <RLWALD@PUCC.Princeton.EDU>

jwhitnell@cup.portal.com (08/16/88)

My reply to you bounced, so I'll try posting it.  Apologies to the
rest of comp.sys.mac.

Subject: Re: Best Information Service? <7993@cup.portal.com>
Date: Thu Aug 11 14:20:27 1988

If you use Compuserve on a regular basis, it is definitly worth the money
and will save you far more then its cost in a realtivly short time.  It's
primary advantages over regular terminal emulators such as Red Ryder
(which I use for Portal) are:
a) it knows the full Compuserve tree and can learn the dls and message bases
very easily, so finding something new is both quick and free (you can do
it offline),
b) it's easy to get either full message text or just titles of messages,
and it automates writing replys offline, so you save money there,
c) it uses the Compuserve QuickB protocol, which is the fastest that I've used
(230+ characters per second on a regular basis) and
d) it uses the Mac interface to display all of this for you.
Lots of other features too numerous to mention.  About the only things
wrong are no support for uploading (although it supports automatic
downloading at any time) and it's more modal then it needs to be.
Other then that I highly recommed it.  The author is online on Compuserve
and updates have come on a regular basis so it is well supported.

Jerry Whitnell

--
Jerry Whitnell
jwhitnell@cup.portal.com