[comp.sys.mac] Start-Up Inits

jweeks@umnd-cs-luke.d.umn.edu (John A. Weeks III) (08/16/88)

Ted Johnson writes:

> These INITS which have start-up icons get trapped by StartupDesk, and
> remain embedded in my desktop!  YUCK!  PTEWEY!  BOO!   There are
> several neat INITs that I don't use because of this very reason!

I use some Inits just because I like the start-up Icons. :^)

> Is there maybe an ICON resource that you can cut out of these obnoxious
> INIT's, so that they WON'T put up an icon when you boot up?

Inits and CDEVs (CDEVs that have an Init) are loaded in alphabetical order.
Change the name of your Inits/CDEVs so they execute after StartupDesk,
or change the name of StartupDesk so that it loads first.  I used this
trick to make Vaccine load before other Inits to look out for any badly
behaved Inits.

Also, some Inits/CDEVs that display Icons have options for turning off
the little show.  CDEVs would have this in the Control Panel, while
Inits make you do contortions with the shift, control, and option keys.

> Gee, am I the only person in the world who uses StartupDesk (an INIT
> which turns your StartupScreen into your desktop's background)???

Check out the Init & DA called "Backdrop".  It places a paint file as
the desktop background.  The file is selected from a "Screens" folder,
and is random on start-up.  The DA allows the backgound file to be
changed.  Backdrop does not trap Init/CDEV icons like StartupDesk.
(Only problem is Backdrop assumes a 9" Mac screen, so it turns out
a bit odd on large screens.)

OS/2: Just Say No!        An Apple-A-Day Takes My Credit Card Away.
John Weeks                                    jweeks@luke.d.umn.edu

prince@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) (08/16/88)

jweeks@umnd-cs-luke.d.umn.edu (John A. Weeks III) writes:

]Check out the Init & DA called "Backdrop".  It places a paint file as
]the desktop background.  The file is selected from a "Screens" folder,
]and is random on start-up.  The DA allows the backgound file to be
]changed.  Backdrop does not trap Init/CDEV icons like StartupDesk.
](Only problem is Backdrop assumes a 9" Mac screen, so it turns out
]a bit odd on large screens.)

I'm interested in Backdrop...where can I get it?

		    UCLA Computer Science Department
   -- Larry         3413 Boelter Hall   Los Angeles 90024  (213) 825-2145
	 Prince     UUCP:    {ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!prince
		    ARPAnet:  prince@CS.UCLA.EDU

marc@rna.UUCP (Marc Johnson) (08/16/88)

In article <460@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> jweeks@umnd-cs-luke.d.umn.edu (John A. Weeks III) writes:

> (reply to Ted Johnson)
>
>> Gee, am I the only person in the world who uses StartupDesk...
>
>Check out the Init & DA called "Backdrop"....

Are either of these PD and if so can someone post them please?
Mucho appreciatatto.

Marc
(marc%rna@rockefeller.edu  OR rna!marc@rockvax.bitnet)