[comp.sys.mac] Looking for security boxes for Mac SE/II

ajq@mace.cc.purdue.edu (John O'Malley) (08/04/88)

A collegue who's in charge of some Mac SEs and Mac IIs in a public
on-campus location needs to find someplace that he can buy some kind
of a security box for his computers and keyboards.  He's looking for
more than the typical cable security kit ... he'd like a whole box
that would cover up the Macintosh such that it couldn't even be touched,
much less moved, when it's locked up.

Any ideas?

John O'Malley         \ Personal Computing       \ Purdue University \ (317)
mace.cc.purdue.edu!ajq \ Learning Resource Center \ Computing Center  \ 494-9944

lemke@Apple.COM (Steve Lemke) (08/05/88)

In article <382@mace.cc.purdue.edu> ajq@mace.cc.purdue.edu (John O'Malley) writes:

>A collegue who's in charge of some Mac SEs and Mac IIs in a public
>on-campus location needs to find someplace that he can buy some kind
>of a security box for his computers and keyboards.  He's looking for
>more than the typical cable security kit ... he'd like a whole box
>that would cover up the Macintosh such that it couldn't even be touched,
>much less moved, when it's locked up.
>
>Any ideas?

Well, have you every heard of The Muzzle by Ergotron (800) 888-8458?  They
advertise in MacWeek usually, and it provides a tilt stand for the Mac that
locks the mac to the stand and prevents people from getting at the power switch
or putting disks into it.  I'm not sure if this is good enough or if you need
some sort of complete cover...

Steve Lemke (apple!lemke or lemke@apple.com)

dlt@csuna.UUCP (Dave Thompson) (08/09/88)

We use something called Anchor Pad.  This is a pad that's sealed
to the table and attaches to the bottom of the SE/II.  The unit
for the II also has a shell that surrounds the top and both sides.
(Not the front or back, unfortunately.)  Seems to work pretty
well.  We also use these for all pc's on campus.  The units can
be unlocked for removal of the computer.

--
Dave Thompson		     uucp:   {ihnp4|hplabs|psivax}!csun!csuna!dlt
CSUN Computer Center         phone:  (818) 885-2790

mkao@crash.cts.com (Mike Kao) (08/10/88)

In article <382@mace.cc.purdue.edu> ajq@mace.cc.purdue.edu (John O'Malley) writes:

>A collegue who's in charge of some Mac SEs and Mac IIs in a public
>on-campus location needs to find someplace that he can buy some kind
>of a security box for his computers and keyboards.  He's looking for
>more than the typical cable security kit ... he'd like a whole box
>that would cover up the Macintosh such that it couldn't even be touched,
>much less moved, when it's locked up.
>
>Any ideas?
>

>John O'Malley         \ Personal Computing       \ Purdue University \ (317)
>mace.cc.purdue.edu!ajq \ Learning Resource Center \ Computing Center  \ 494-9944

I'd appreciate any info on the above topic as well. I'm moving to Berkeley
in less than 2 weeks for college. I'm concerned about the security of both
my //e and Mac II systems.

--

To insure my reception of any replies, please respond via e-mail. Thanks!

                                                                  -- Mike Kao

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!mkao
ARPA: crash!pnet01!mkao@nosc.mil
INET: mkao@pnet01.CTS.COM

lemke@Apple.COM (Steve Lemke) (08/17/88)

In article <870205@hpcilzb.HP.COM> tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:

>Why don't you just get renter's insurance instead?  I got State Farm renter's
>insurance for my appt. for $200./year.  It covers up to $5k of computer
>equipment (I have a SE HD20) and $20,000. total (stereo, TV, VCR, camera, etc).
>
>It may be more expensive than a ball & chain for my Mac, but this way I am
>*guarenteed* to get another Mac "for free" if mine gets stolen.
>
>-Ted

Not only that, but you'll also get another Mac "for free" (less your deduct-
ible, of course) if your apartment burns down (depending on your policy, of
course).  At least with mine, I do - I hope.  However, you also awakened me
to an issue I had never given much thought to - I just replaced my SE with
a Mac II, and if there's a limit of $5000 for computer equipment, I may be
bummed big-time, especially if I also get a LaserWriter!!  I know the policy
covers $20K, but I'll have to check if computers are limited...  Thanks for
pointing that out!

			===== Steve Lemke =====
Internet (?): lemke@apple.com    UUCP: {sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!lemke
   AppleLink: LEMKE             GEnie:  S.Lemke
All opinions are, of course, mine, and could never belong to anyone else!