[comp.sys.mac] help with a clinically depressed mac

dcc@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Daniel Carr) (08/13/88)

when a mac suddenly crashes in the middle of an application and a sad mac
comes up with 02902 code beneath it (no bomb/restart/resume dialog at all)
what could it be?

the mac is a 1 meg plus with an external 800k floppy, no hard drive and
system/software that runs fine on another identical mac.

once i hit the reset button, it rebooted fine...but i have a feeling that it
will happen again.

thanks for any info,
daniel carr
    "I steal from the rich and give to the poor, namely me."
                                          -Robin Hoodlum
dcc@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu    netoprdc@ncsuvm.BITNET    d.c.carr, GEnie

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (08/16/88)

>when a mac suddenly crashes in the middle of an application and a sad mac
>comes up with 02902 code beneath it (no bomb/restart/resume dialog at all)
>what could it be?

Me thinks you are missing a digit there, bucko.

From my friend's pirate copy of "Mastering Macintosh - For Apple Eyes Only":

(I'm only typing in this stuff once, so save this for future
reference!!!)

--------------cut here----------------------------------------

Sad Mac codes

When you turn on the Macintosh or press the Reset programmer's switch,
several memory and system diagnostic tests take place.  If any test fails,
the Sad Mac appears.  The code number below it indicates the nature of the
malfunction.  The first two digits indicate the type of error.  If it is a
RAM test failure (02, 03, 04, or 05), the last 4 digits identify the
suspect RAM chips.  You must convert the last 4 digits, which are hexadecimal,
to a 16-digit number to learn which chips are bad.

If a Sad Mac appears after the disk starts spinning, the first 2 digits of the
code number under the icon are 0F, and the next 4 digits indicate the type
of error.  If you get a Sad Mac with an 0F code, try restarting the Mac with
the Option and Command keys held down to rebuild the Desktop file.  You may
also be able to fix a faulty startup disk by replacing its System file.  The
error 0F000D most likely means that you have something pressed against the
Interrupt button on the progammer's switch.  The error 0F0064 means that the
startup disk you have inserted into the disk drive is missing the System file.

Code 	Meaning

01____	ROM test
02____	RAM test (Bus subtest)
03____	RAM test (byte write)
04____	RAM test (mod3 test)
05____	RAM test (address uniqueness)
0F0001	Bus error
0F0002	Address error
0F0003	Illegal instruction
0F0004	Zero divide
0F0005	Check trap - CHK instruction
0F0006 	Overflow trap - TRAPV instruction
0F0007	Privilege violation
0F0008	Trace trap
0F0009	Trap dispatcher error
0F000A	Line 1111 trap
0F000B	Other trap
0F000C	Unimplemented trap executed
0F000D	Interrupt button on programmers switch
0F0064	Bad System file
0F0065	Bad Finder

>thanks for any info,

You're welcome!

-Ted

Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com (08/16/88)

That is a bummer.  02092 is a real bummer (assuming I got the last 3 digits
right or wrong doesn't matter).  02 is a RAM error, it means you have a bad
RAM chip.  The last three digits indicate which RAM chip is bad.  I think you
have to convert the last three digits into binary and then the one that is a
1 is the bad chip.  You have to get someone elses opinon on it though.  I have
a book that could locate the bad chip, but I can't locate the book.  But this
might be a good time to think about a RAM upgrade....

Mark Cookson

jimc@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Jim Cathey) (08/17/88)

In article <870213@hpcilzb.HP.COM> tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:

>>when a mac suddenly crashes in the middle of an application and a sad mac
>>comes up with 02902 code beneath it (no bomb/restart/resume dialog at all)
>>what could it be?
>When you turn on the Macintosh or press the Reset programmer's switch,
  IMPORTANT!!!
>several memory and system diagnostic tests take place.  If any test fails,
>the Sad Mac appears.  The code number below it indicates the nature of the
>malfunction.  The first two digits indicate the type of error...

If the Sad Mac shows up in the middle of running an application the codes
don't mean diddly squat.  A wild jump into the ROM could get you anywhere,
with anything happening.  Those error codes only have meaning when displayed
at Reset time, since only then is the proper software in control of the error
display routine.

In other words, you don't know any more than you did when you started!
(Namely it's broke.)

! II      CCCCCC !  Jim Cathey
! II  SSSSCC     !  ISC Systems Corp.
! II      CC     !  TAF-C8;  Spokane, WA  99220
! IISSSS  CC     !  UUCP: uunet!iscuva!jimc
! II      CCCCCC !  (509) 927-5757
			"With excitement like this, who is needing enemas?"