[comp.sys.mac] Mac II to mainframe via ISN at 19.2K isn't working!

ajq@mace.cc.purdue.edu (John O'Malley) (08/17/88)

I know that terminal programs were discussed at length some months ago,
but maybe this is a different enough situation to warrant a new discussion.

We've got a Mac SE and a Mac II hooked up to our Unix- and CMS-based mainframes
via an AT&T Integrated Services Network (ISN) line.  The setup runs perfectly
at 9600 baud using MacKermit 0.9(40) (favorite software) as well as MacTerminal
2.2 and Red Ryder 9.4.

When we attempted to bounce the ISN box up to 19200 baud, we found that none
of the software worked.  About every 1 out of 3 characters typed in MacKermit
and MacTerminal yield garbage.  I couldn't even get past the password
prompt at login!  Red Ryder 9.4 doesn't have a 19.2Kbaud option, but I
suspect RR 10.3 does.

Do MacKermit and MacTerminal have reputations for running at 19.2K with
any degree of reliability?  Is better software available that does long-packet
Kermit protocol transfers, reliable vt100 emulation, and 19.2Kbaud speed?

One of my coworkers (an IBM-type person) had a good laugh when we tested
our Mac's ISN line with a lowly IBM Convertible running Kermit-MS at 19.2K,
and it worked perfectly ... seeming to prove the problem is on the Mac's end.

Any ideas?  Seeing an $800 IBM triumphantly beat a $5000 Mac II wasn't
pleasant!!  Please post responses;  seeing some discussion would be helpful.

John O'Malley         \ Personal Computing       \ Purdue University \ (317)
mace.cc.purdue.edu!ajq \ Learning Resource Center \ Computing Center  \ 494-9944

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (08/17/88)

(
(Any ideas?  Seeing an $800 IBM triumphantly beat a $5000 Mac II wasn't
(pleasant!!  Please post responses;  seeing some discussion would be helpful.

Versaterm (current version 3.2, but this is true for older versions as
well) works verly nicely at 19.2 KB on a 512K, Plus, or SE; on a Mac
II it could only be better.  For top speed, should probably not be run
under MultiFinder.

	/JBL

UUCP: {backbone}!bbn!levin     USPS: BBN Communications Corporation
ARPA: levin@bbn.com                  150 CambridgePark Drive
POTS: (617) 873-3463                 Cambridge, MA  02140

mdc@mcp.entity.com (Marty Connor) (08/17/88)

In article <451@mace.cc.purdue.edu>, ajq@mace.cc.purdue.edu (John O'Malley) writes:
> Do MacKermit and MacTerminal have reputations for running at 19.2K with
> any degree of reliability?  Is better software available that does long-packet
> Kermit protocol transfers, reliable vt100 emulation, and 19.2Kbaud speed?

I'm Cy Sperling. President of Power Tools for MeN (<- Note StUdLY
CapItiLIzAtiOn)...  Write to me and I'll send you my free booklet
about the facts and misconceptions of all TeleCommunications software
for the Mac.  Included are actual MacNosy dumps of the pathetic
attempts of people to do 19.2kb.  (Oh my god! I'm gonna scroll... just
a sec... AAIIIIEEEE!!  lost a few chars.  Bummer).

I count my life as before and after I found VersaTerm 3.2.
That Abelbeck boy sure knows his 19.2...
I'm talking 19.2 to my Xenix box right now, and often do flawless
KERMIT/YMODEM-Batch/XMODEM/MacBinary transfers.

Get VersaTerm.  It does so many things right (including deal with the
vagaries of Multifinder), that it's scary.

Anything less, would be UNCivilized.

--
----------------
Marty Connor

twan@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Tat Wan) (08/17/88)

in article <451@mace.cc.purdue.edu>, ajq@mace.cc.purdue.edu (John O'Malley) says:
{stuff about ISN connection at 9600 bps deleted}

> Do MacKermit and MacTerminal have reputations for running at 19.2K with
> any degree of reliability?  Is better software available that does long-packet
> Kermit protocol transfers, reliable vt100 emulation, and 19.2Kbaud speed?
                                                           ^^^^^^^^^
I have been using MacKermit .9(40) at 19.2Kbps over a DECserver 100 with no
problems. Response seems to be not much different from running it at 9600,
although someone showed me that 19.2k was definitely much faster on an
IBM 3151 terminal. Might be due to buffering done by kermit (?)

> Any ideas?  Seeing an $800 IBM triumphantly beat a $5000 Mac II wasn't
> pleasant!!  Please post responses;  seeing some discussion would be helpful.
>

> John O'Malley         \ Personal Computing       \ Purdue University \ (317)
> mace.cc.purdue.edu!ajq \ Learning Resource Center \ Computing Center  \ 494-9944

Unrelated question: Is it better to do kermit file transfers with a packet
length of 1010 (max) or 516 (effective length 512 bytes) as suggested in
the MacKermit manual? The lines are perfect (no errors encountered at all).
What about checksums?

= twan@umbio.MIAMI.EDU  <<internet>> <- should reach??            =
= p758z49z@miavax.miami.edu <- other acct.                        =
= Disclaimer: I don't claim to represent anyone except myself :-) =

rob@uokmax.UUCP (Robert K Shull) (08/17/88)

In article <451@mace.cc.purdue.edu> ajq@mace.cc.purdue.edu (John O'Malley) writes:

>When we attempted to bounce the ISN box up to 19200 baud, we found that none
>of the software worked.  About every 1 out of 3 characters typed in MacKermit
>and MacTerminal yield garbage.  I couldn't even get past the password
>
>One of my coworkers (an IBM-type person) had a good laugh when we tested
>our Mac's ISN line with a lowly IBM Convertible running Kermit-MS at 19.2K,

One thing to check would be your flow control. Our PC-compatibles "run"
at 19200 also, but the actual throughput is closer to 4800 baud. They run
at 19200 by using flow control. Does the ISN use xon/xoff, DTR, or some other
method? Is your software on the Mac II set the same way? I've had no trouble
with a Mac II at 38400 (Versaterm PRO, I think) through an Encore Annex.
	Robert
--
Robert K. Shull
University of Oklahoma, Engineering Computer Network

ajq@mace.cc.purdue.edu (John O'Malley) (08/17/88)

In a recent article I write:
>We've got a Mac SE and a Mac II hooked up to our Unix- and CMS-based mainframes
>via an AT&T Integrated Services Network (ISN) line.  The setup runs perfectly
>at 9600 baud using MacKermit 0.9(40) (favorite software) as well as
>MacTerminal 2.2 and Red Ryder 9.4.
>
>When we attempted to bounce the ISN box up to 19200 baud, we found that none
>of the software worked.

Turns out it was a hardware problem.  We had a short-haul modem connecting
our Mac to the ISN line.  This method of connecting doesn't work at high
speeds ... the Mac's RS422 port couldn't drive the short-haul modem.
Apparently the RS422 port is capable of driving the ISN line at 19.2K without
any additional hardware ... that's how I'm logged in now.  All this is what
I've been told by our hardware people.

>One of my coworkers (an IBM-type person) had a good laugh when we tested
>our Mac's ISN line with a lowly IBM Convertible running Kermit-MS at 19.2K,
>and it worked perfectly ... seeming to prove the problem is on the Mac's end.

I'm happy to hear that it sorta wasn't the software's problem.  So much for
cheap IBM's.  :-)  Thanks for your responses.

John O'Malley         \ Personal Computing       \ Purdue University \ (317)
mace.cc.purdue.edu!ajq \ Learning Resource Center \ Computing Center  \ 494-9944

johns@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (John Sahr) (08/18/88)

In article <451@mace.cc.purdue.edu> ajq@mace.cc.purdue.edu (John O'Malley) writes:
[problems with terminal emulation at 19.2kbaud]
>John O'Malley         \ Personal Computing       \ Purdue University \ (317)
>mace.cc.purdue.edu!ajq \ Learning Resource Center \ Computing Center  \ 494-9944

We have been using VersaTerm Pro here, and have never had any problems with it,
at any speed.  I have written a primitive TTY using the Toolbox routines, and
have run it at 19.2k on both SE's and II's, and I don't miss characters.

John Sahr (johns@calvin) [Opinions expressed above are my own]