[comp.sys.mac] DA for communication

humtech@ucschu.UCSC.EDU (Mark Frost) (08/18/88)

Hello,

We are a Mac-UNIX office, and have frequent times that a Macintosh user, say
using Reflex, has some information on UNIX that she'd like to be able to
access. It seems that it would be very handy to have a Desk Accessory that
one could use to communicate. Say, like just a VT52 emulator or something
like that. (I know I could use MacTerminal or some other communication
application, and MultiFinder, but I would prefer not to). I know of a
number of other machines that have this capability. It must be around for
the Mac, right? This would be serial communication over the modem or
printer port. It would also be nice if there were a bare bones Telnet, or
MacIP type capability (i.e. it'd be nice to be able to use our k-box
-UNIX setup to allow UNIX access also).

Is there such a beast(s)? If there aren't this is a request to programmers
to make one. I've heard many people say that this capability would be very
nice.

Thank you

"A mouse in the hand is worth two on the desktop..."

Mark Frost (humtech@ucschu.UCSC.EDU)

marc@rna.UUCP (Marc Johnson) (08/19/88)

In article <4541@saturn.ucsc.edu> humtech@ucschu.ucsc.edu (Mark Frost) writes:

> . . . It seems that it would be very handy to have a Desk Accessory that
>one could use to communicate. Say, like just a VT52 emulator or something
>like that. (I know I could use MacTerminal or some other communication
>application, and MultiFinder, but I would prefer not to). . .

There is a DA called "vt52" which emulates a vt52 (surprisingly enough),
and also the DA called MockTerminal which does something like MacTerminal.
I believe the latter is ShareWare, and the former may be Public Domain.
They may be available from the SUMEX INFO-MAC archive.

I can email/post an old but useable version of MockTerminal if so desired.

> . . . It would also be nice if there were a bare bones Telnet, or
>MacIP type capability

SmartCom II (not a DA) allows a variety of different protocols, and you
can certainly use it to act as a UNIX terminal.

Marc Johnson
Rockefeller Univ.