[comp.sys.mac] Sending messages

paul@aucs.UUCP (Paul Steele) (08/17/88)

I administer a diverse PhoneNET network spanning several buildings.  We
run MacJANET networking software.  It has lots of useful features but
one thing that it has missing is a broadcast message facility.  Once in
a while, I have to take the network down while people are logged onto
the MacJANET server.  Unfortunately, there is no way in MacJANET to
notify these users to save to work and log off.  I have recently been
sent a copy of a PD program called Broadcast which appears as a chooser
device and does allow what I want, but it is not exactly what I want.  For
one thing, I don't want regular users to have this same facility since
students tend to abuse it.  Also, the program is 13K, which is too much
for our already cramped boot disks.

What I need is a simple Init that I can place in the system folder that
does nothing more than recieve messages from some sending program on
another workstation.  The sending program should have the ability to
send to all users or just to individual users.  I know that such a thing
should be possible since broadcast does it (and more).  I want a cut down
version of Broadcast that allows only receiving, cannot be disabled (except by
deleting the init), and is less than 5K in size.  If someone knows of
such a program, please let me know. Thanks.

(By the way, it's great to be back on the net!)

--
Paul H. Steele      USENET:   {uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!Paul
Acadia University   BITNET:   Paul@Acadia

wes@chianti.cc.umich.edu (Wes Craig) (08/19/88)

In article <1220@aucs.UUCP> paul@aucs.UUCP (Paul Steele) writes:
>[deleted...]
>...  I want a cut down
>version of Broadcast that allows only receiving, cannot be disabled (except by
>deleting the init), and is less than 5K in size.
>--

Well, since I could certainly use something of this nature, I could
make modifications to BroadCast to do it. Where is the author of
BroadCast? Is the *source* in the public domain?

wes

wes@umix.cc.umich.edu /        "Workstation, Good;
uunet!umix!wes       /          Mainframe, Bad."

ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) (08/19/88)

In article <642@mailrus.cc.umich.edu> wes@chianti.cc.umich.edu (Wes Craig) writes:

>Well, since I could certainly use something of this nature, I could
>make modifications to BroadCast to do it. Where is the author of
>BroadCast? Is the *source* in the public domain?

I too would be interested in obtaining the source of this.  It comes from
Germany from Joachim Lindenburg.  However, I do not know his eMail address.
I don't know if they are public, but here at Dartmouth it has become a good
method of communicating (we have 80 or so Appletalk zones spread over all
the dorms and admin buildings of campus), but there are always people who
abuse it.  We were thinking of having a few buttons on the received message
dialog to the effect of "OK"  "Turn off receiver" and "Ignore this sender".

-Andy

Andy J. Williams '90   |           <hello>           | ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Systems Programmer     |  set $NAME='inigo_montoya'  |      31 North Main Street
Kiewit Computation Ctr |   You kill -9 my process    |         Hanover NH, 03755
Dartmouth College      |        prepare to vi        |  115 Kiewit, 603-646-2636