[comp.sys.mac] LaserWriter Type

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (04/02/87)

I know that I can change a LaserWriter's name to something other than
"LaserWriter".  Is there any way to change the LaserWriter's TYPE from
"LaserWriter" to something else.  I know I'll also have to customize a
driver for it.
--
"You make everything groovy..."           Peter Merchant (merchant@dartvax.UUCP)

jww@sdcsvax.UUCP (04/03/87)

In article <5935@dartvax.UUCP>, merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) writes:
> I know that I can change a LaserWriter's name to something other than
> "LaserWriter".  Is there any way to change the LaserWriter's TYPE from
> "LaserWriter" to something else.  I know I'll also have to customize a
> driver for it.

Look at STR -4091, 4094, 4095, 4096.  You also have to go after
some of the DITL resources.

Of course, you know that once you change all the strings, the LW
driver will never find any LW's using NBP.  You might want to look
at the Chooser docs in the Device Mgr section of IM Volume IV.
--
	Joel West
	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww	(ihnp4!gould9!joel once I fix news)

huxham@apple.UUCP (04/07/87)

In article <5935@dartvax.UUCP> merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) writes:
>I know that I can change a LaserWriter's name to something other than
>"LaserWriter".  Is there any way to change the LaserWriter's TYPE from
>"LaserWriter" to something else.  I know I'll also have to customize a
>driver for it.

See page 307 of the "PostScript Language Reference Manual".  To change
the type (in the AppleTalk NBP sense) of the LaserWriter, you need to change
the product string in the statusdict dictionary.

This is not the kind of thing I'd do everyday.  Once you change it's
type to something other than "LaserWriter", no normal Mac software will
be able to find it.  (Thus, no more printing)

You may however, want to do this if you're implementing a print spooler.
Change the type of the LaserWriter to "RealPrinter" and set the NBP
type of your spooler to "LaserWriter".  Thus when people look for
LaserWriters to print to, all they see are spoolers.  The spooler knows
about "RealPrinter"'s and so everything works out just fine.

Just be sure you have a program to set the LaserWriter back to a "LaserWriter".

Fred

atieu@skat.usc.edu (Anthony Tieu) (08/17/88)

Does anybody know how to patch the chooser or something else to allow
the chooser to detect other types of printers besides just LaserWriters
OR does anybody know any software that can detect various types of printers
across appletalk.Any help will be appreciated. Thank You

Anthony Tieu

bob@eecs.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (08/17/88)

/ eecs.nwu.edu:comp.sys.mac / atieu@skat.usc.edu (Anthony Tieu) /  1:06 pm  Aug 16, 1988 /
Does anybody know how to patch the chooser or something else to allow
the chooser to detect other types of printers besides just LaserWriters
OR does anybody know any software that can detect various types of printers
across appletalk.Any help will be appreciated. Thank You

Anthony Tieu
----------

bob@eecs.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (08/18/88)

Imagine my surprise when I saw this note from myself on the net. I suspect
it can about when my line died yesterday in a burst of ungodly line noise.
I tried to delete the message, but it won't go away.

Sorry about that...

Bob

Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com (08/20/88)

The chooser does not detect printers, it detects printer DRIVERS in the system
folder.  I think this is where your problem lies.

Mark Cookson