[comp.sys.mac] Report on the Expo

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (08/15/88)

The MacWorld Expo closed at 6 p.m. last night, with the normal cheers from
all the exhibitors (you get pretty tired by the end of four days...) This
article contains some comments about what was there, and what wasn't! They're
in random order, not in order of importance.

Splitting the exhibits between two halls worked better than most people
expected. There seemed to be plenty of shuttle buses (though the lack of
transportation from South Station to the World Trade Center was a major
oversight - the one mile walk in 90+ degree heat with dew points in the
70's was hard on everybody). Neither hall was as crowded as the Bayside
was last year. It was much easier to talk to vendors and to move about.
The air conditioning systems also had a better chance to keep things
reasonably cool.

Whoever was running the bag check operations scored a major coup. Not only
would they guard your stuff while you wandered, but they were selling boxes
and providing shipping so you didn't have to carry all your goodies on the
plane with you.

1 meg SIMMs were everywhere. One fellow at the Bayside sat in a bare booth
with four trays in from of him. His sign read "SIMMs". Need he say more?
He wanted $425-450/meg. However, over at the World Trade Center,
MacProducts USA had 1 meg SIMMS for $319. Apparently this is their standard
price. They say that they make them themselves.

The prize for the glitziest display goes to Informix, for their Wingz booth.
The lines to go through their eight minute show were huge, primarily because
you got a niftly shoulder bag when you came out. The show was an integrated
video (narrated by Leonard Nemoy) and computer demo. As you lined up,
Informix employees took names and addresses, promising to mail a demo disk.

Informix also wins the prize for the most highly hyped vaporware - the same
product called Wingz. (It's a "presentation spreadsheet", which means it's
a spreadsheet with rather nifty graphics capabilities - if it ever loses its
vaporware status.)

Prize for the most effective booth goes to Claris. Their simple design
really showed off their products effectively. No, it wasn't as flashy as
Wingz, but it did the job.

Prize for the most interesting contest goes to MacConnection. They printed
up baseball cards which on one side had a head honcho of a company whose
product they sell. On the reverse was a description of the product. The
cards were then placed at the booths whose products were featured. Then,
an Expo attendee had to collect a certain number of cards (by visiting
the booths). Once they got the cards, then they could enter MacConnection's
drawing. (I actually forget what the prize was; I was so taken by the
whole concept of the contest). The baseball cards were really useful - it
gave you something to give to little kids so they wouldn't destroy your booth
while mom and dad were busy talking.

Prize for the most obnoxious staff goes to Dayna. When I asked one of their
technical people a question, he told me "it was in the manual", and proceeded
to pull one out and show me. I explained that I read the section to which
he referred, but that it was unclear, and that I didn't get what he was
telling me from what was written. He then made me feel like I was an idiot
because I couldn't decipher plain English. Not good, folks....

There seemed to be a lot of business people on Wednesday afternoon,
Thursday and Friday. Saturday, traditionally the day when the expo is
mobbed by home users, hobbyists and their kids, was surprisingly light. A
lot of people were mumbling that Apple is ignoring the home user. If the
crowd at this Expo is any indicator, then that may be the case.

This Expo wasn't as "exciting" as last year's; there weren't the major
product announcements. However, there were a lot of good, solid products
being shown (Ashton-Tate's FullImpact looks like it's going to give Excel
a real run for its money, for example). People were buying (Odesta brought
only 100 copies of my Double Helix book; we sold out before noon on
Friday and had to resort to taking orders); people were asking intelligent
questions.

The bottom line - a good show, though I sure am tired.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
UUCP: husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop
BITNET: JHARRY@BENTLEY

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai

derek@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Derek J. LeLash) (08/16/88)

Here are some of my subjective impressions, based on one day (Friday) of
hoofing around in the exhibition areas.

What was good:
- VideoWorks demos on giant Mitsubishi monitors.
- Colony, a game from MindScape (a must-buy for II-owning game players)
- SuperPaint 2
- the MegaZot card from MegaGraphics, which generated amazing Mandelbrot plots
- RasterOps' 24-bit color monitors (even if I couldn't bear to look at them :-)
- Symantec in general, and for an effective booth and neat contest.
- MacConnection, where you could buy all the neat stuff you saw everywhere else.

What was not-so-good:
- Microsoft's booth - it was not conducive to the small-group demos they wanted
- Many of the people staffing booths, especially of the larger companies, who
  acted more interested in selling things than in answering detailed questions.
- The person who demo-ed SuperPaint 2 (If only I'd had 5 minutes with it... :-)
- The weather...ACK! At least the air conditioning worked all day.
- Apple's presentation - I'd have rather seen more announcements of new stuff
  as opposed to celebrations of old, but I guess that can't be helped much.

Overall, I found the show to be much better put-together than I'd expected,
considering its size - congrats to the organizers. And special repeated kudos
to Rich Siegel and the Symantec people. The folks in our development team had
a number of questions and concerns about Symantec products, which I'm told
were well answered.

Derek

   // Derek J. LeLash            /|\"Every male in the Urga family has gone\\
  // Derek.LeLash@Dartmouth.EDU //|\\ mad before the age of fifty. It's the \\
 // Mercenary TechWriter, &c.  // | \\ reason we make such good kings." (DE) \\
// "Welcome to BlitzNuke!"    //dj|88\\   ==> DISCLAIMER: Oh, get real. <==   \\

paul@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Paul Meyer) (08/16/88)

In article <9808@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> derek@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Derek J. LeLash) writes:
>- Colony, a game from MindScape (a must-buy for II-owning game players)
					         ^^^^^^^^^
Does this game run on the SE or the Plus?  Or is it to slow on those
machines?  I thought I saw it running on an SE at the show, but I'm
not sure.

	Care to give a description of the new features slated for Superpaint
2?  Somehow I missed that booth at the expo, but I'm a Superpaint fan
looking forward to the update.  How does it measure up to Canvas 2.0?

Paul Meyer
paul@caf
Microsystems Technology Lab
MIT

In article <1235@mit-caf.MIT.EDU> paul@mit-caf.UUCP (Paul Meyer) writes:

>In article <9808@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> I wrote:
>>- Colony, a game from MindScape (a must-buy for II-owning game players)

>Does this game run on the SE or the Plus?  Or is it to slow on those
>machines?  I thought I saw it running on an SE at the show, but I'm
>not sure.

Sorry, I should have specified this. Yes, it runs on other Macs, but my
friend and I both found the animation a little too "chunky" to justify
our buying it for our (non-II) machines. Animotion on the II is wonderfully
smooth.

>	Care to give a description of the new features slated for Superpaint
>2?  Somehow I missed that booth at the expo, but I'm a Superpaint fan
>looking forward to the update.  How does it measure up to Canvas 2.0?

Sure. Some of the features are (from memory and their handout):

- Auto-trace of bitmapped objects
- 3-dimensional dragging of objects, which means that if you drag a square in
  this way, you get lines connecting the vertices of the original and the
  dragged shapes, for a 3-d effect. You can do this with or without hidden-
  line removal.
- Color preview, although you still can't work directly with colors in the
  drawing itself.
- Bezier paths
- support for plug-in "modules" (additional tools programmed by third parties).
  This sounds really neat...apparently, the release will include a few of these
  tools with it.
- "SuperBits," bit-mapped objects in the draw layer that can be edited at high
  resolution.
- Transformation functions in both layers
- Mixing fonts, styles, etc. in text blocks
- customizable airbrush
- many selection tools
- "Multigon" tool for drawing equilateral polygons with any number of sizes.

Overall, it looked really good. Canvas, I thought, was leaning very much toward
becoming a high-end draw program, almost the draw equivalent of PixelPaint.
Since I don't have a Mac II, the (admittedly great) color support that will
be in Canvas 2 doesn't interest me. What was true with the original versions
is even more true now: if you do more painting than drawing, SuperPaint is
probably your best bet, if vice versa, look seriously at Canvas.

One caveat, for those who may not be aware of it, is that Canvas upgrades will
be *free* to registered owners, while SuperPaint upgrades will cost $50.
In fact, this makes the final price of the new versions (using current Mac-
Connection prices) $129 for SuperPaint and $109 for Canvas. Something to
think about, although those of us who own Microsoft Word will (eventually)
be receiving SuperPaint 1.1, so going in that direction looks financially
attractive...  :-)

Derek [tired feet] LeLash

drc@claris.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (08/16/88)

In article <639@stech.UUCP> sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
>Informix also wins the prize for the most highly hyped vaporware - the same
>product called Wingz. (It's a "presentation spreadsheet", which means it's
>a spreadsheet with rather nifty graphics capabilities - if it ever loses its
>vaporware status.)

Informix told me the same thing at this show as they did at the SF Expo in
January -- that they plan to ship the product by end of third quarter.  Since
they haven't yet slipped a delivery date, I believe that the appellation of
"vaporware" is undeserved.  They have not taken out ads in any of the trades
promoting the product or implying that it was available -- they've merely done
what the TV industry does in the summer each year, give "previews" of a coming
attraction and announce the date when it will become available.

>Prize for the most effective booth goes to Claris. Their simple design
>really showed off their products effectively. No, it wasn't as flashy as
>Wingz, but it did the job.
Thank you from all the folks here.  Kind words are always appreciated.

>This Expo wasn't as "exciting" as last year's; there weren't the major
>product announcements. However, there were a lot of good, solid products
>being shown (Ashton-Tate's FullImpact looks like it's going to give Excel
>a real run for its money, for example).
I agree, IF it can overcome the fact that Excel is entrenched as the "standard"
much like 1-2-3 in the DOS world.  On the basis of technical merit, ease of
use, functionality, and performance Full Impact should trample Excel into the
ground; however, Excel has the name recognition.  Full Impact will be the
first spreadsheet I've ever wanted to own (VisiCalc was bundled in the purchase
of my first Apple and is still shrink-wrapped six years later).

Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.
------------
Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed above are _MINE_!
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                 (lots of 'em today)

vita@lansoar.steinmetz (Mark F. Vita) (08/16/88)

In article <9810@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> derek@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Derek J. LeLash) writes:
>In article <1235@mit-caf.MIT.EDU> paul@mit-caf.UUCP (Paul Meyer) writes:
>
>>In article <9808@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> I wrote:
>>>- Colony, a game from MindScape (a must-buy for II-owning game players)
>
>>Does this game run on the SE or the Plus?  Or is it to slow on those
>>machines?  I thought I saw it running on an SE at the show, but I'm
>>not sure.
>
>Sorry, I should have specified this. Yes, it runs on other Macs, but my
>friend and I both found the animation a little too "chunky" to justify
>our buying it for our (non-II) machines. Animotion on the II is wonderfully
>smooth.

I purchased Colony at the Expo for my SE, and yes, it is a lot nicer
on the II.  I spoke to the author and he claimed that the speed on a
SE/Plus was about 85% of that on a II.  However, I find that the game
is certainly playable and enjoyable on an SE.  One thing that helps is
selecting the "Faster" option from the menu.  This turns off the
filling of objects (i.e., wireframes only).  It isn't as pretty, but
the speed with this option on seems to be roughly the same as the
speed on a II with it off.

----
Mark Vita                              ARPA: vita@ge-crd.ARPA
General Electric Company               UUCP: vita@desdemona.steinmetz.UUCP
Corporate R & D                              vita@desdemona.steinmetz.ge.com
Schenectady, NY                              desdemona!vita@steinmetz.UUCP

brewer@clio.las.uiuc.edu (08/17/88)

   paul@mit-caf.MIT.EDU writes:

>In article <9808@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> derek@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Derek J. LeLash) writes:
>>- Colony, a game from MindScape (a must-buy for II-owning game players)
>                                                 ^^^^^^^^^
>Does this game run on the SE or the Plus?  Or is it to slow on those
>machines?  I thought I saw it running on an SE at the show, but I'm
>not sure.
[text deleted...]
>Paul Meyer
>paul@caf
>Microsystems Technology Lab
>MIT

	Yes it works on the 512E on up (or so they claim). I have tried it on
a Mac II and a Mac+ myself and it worked okay. I think I have a bad copy of it,
as I kept on getting bombs with it on my Mac II. Does anyone know if it is
System 6.0 hostile (and, yes I tried it without all my ten zillion INITs)?

	For those of you who haven't seen it, The Colony is quite awesome. The
game is a realtime 3D simulation. Move the mouse forward, and you move forward.
Move the mouse to the side, and you turn to the side. It looks very nice. On an
Mac Plus it can be a little sluggish. However there is an option to turn off
shading and do only wire framing, which is faster. So you can turn it on
depending on whether you are exploring or just cruising. On a Mac II it is
quicker and more fluid. It also makes use of all that extra screen real esate.
Unfortunately, no color. *Sigh*.

	The game takes place in the future. The premise is that a colony has
been overrun by aliens, and you as Space Ranger (or something similar) must go
down and find out what's what. But, as you approach the planet, you get sucked
in by a black hole, towards the planet (don't ask me why, I didn't write it...)
You manage to crash land your ship, but go unconscious in the process. The game
begins with you waking up and finding yourself on the bridge with the lights
out.

	Another of the interesting features are the control panels. When you
approach something interesting in the 3D view, it expands into a little dialog
where you can manipulate things (open drawers, read screens). Everything is
done with the mouse pretty much.

	I haven't gotten into it much yet, but it looks like a great game, and
well worth the $30 I paid MacConnection at the Expo.

Robert Brewer
    brewer@clio.las.uiuc.edu
    {ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!brewer

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (08/17/88)

in:comp.sys.mac / paul@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Paul Meyer) /  asks:
>>In article <9808@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> derek@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Derek J. LeLash) writes:
>- Colony, a game from MindScape (a must-buy for II-owning game players)
					         ^^^^^^^^^
>>Does this game run on the SE or the Plus?  Or is it to slow on those
>>machines?  I thought I saw it running on an SE at the show, but I'm
>>not sure.

Yes, it runs on a Plus!

--David

jwhitnell@cup.portal.com (08/17/88)

Dennis Cohen writes...
|Informix told me the same thing at this show as they did at the SF Expo in
|January -- that they plan to ship the product by end of third quarter.  Since
|they haven't yet slipped a delivery date, I believe that the appellation of
|"vaporware" is undeserved.

VaporWare is anything annouced but not yet shipped.  Hence Wingz is definitly
vaporware.  It doesn't matter whether they've slipped a delivery date or not.
And it's the worst sort of vaporware, a company's first product.  You have
no idead whether or  not they will ship on time or a year late or whether
they'll go out of business before they ship.  That is what is wrong with
vaporware annoucments.  It's the old IBM ploy of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and
Doubt).

--
Jerry Whitnell
jwhitnell@cup.portal.com

dtani@bbn.com (Dan Tani) (08/18/88)

Hey you forgot Mirrus ... Mirrus !!

This exhibit, although entertaining and the product does look good, reeked
of Big Blue.  I predict that right before Rome fell, there was an
exhibit/presentation just like Mirrus's.

Oh well, the price we pay for success and acceptance into the business
world.

Mirrus! (clap) (clap) Mirrus !!!!!

dmt

jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) (08/19/88)

Jerry Whitnell writes:
>VaporWare is anything annouced but not yet shipped.  Hence Wingz is definitly
>vaporware.  It doesn't matter whether they've slipped a delivery date or not.
>And it's the worst sort of vaporware, a company's first product.  You have
>no idead whether or  not they will ship on time or a year late or whether
>they'll go out of business before they ship.  That is what is wrong with
>vaporware annoucments.  It's the old IBM ploy of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and
>Doubt).

A little harsh, aren't we Jerry?  I think that you will find agreement
among most people in the industry (and particularly those in the
media) that Vaporware is software announced, and slipped.  The
monetary realities of this world require that software be announced
prior to its first customer ship.  Most firms announce during the
final integration or first q/a cycles.  This allows the distribution
channels to begin to adapt to the new product.  It is usually
impossible to wait for the final q/a to be finished before announcing
the product - it just doesn't pay to have all those people sitting
around on their hands waiting to get to work.

Only a company with IBM's (past) strangle-hold on its customers and
the industry could get away with the FUD business - and for years they
did just that.  FUD was, however, principally a strategy aimed at
their potential competitors, not their customers.

--
These opinions are solely mine and in no way reflect those of my employer.
John M. Pantone @ GE/Calma R&D, 9805 Scranton Rd., San Diego, CA 92121

mls@mhuxu.UUCP (Michael Siemon) (08/21/88)

In article <15@calmasd.GE.COM>, jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) writes:

> A little harsh, aren't we Jerry?  I think that you will find agreement
> among most people in the industry (and particularly those in the
> media) that Vaporware is software announced, and slipped.

From the standpoint of the CUSTOMER, vaporware is indeed anything we have
been told about (to pre-empt interest and of course -- the producer hopes --
commitments to something else) that we can't get, and can't even get a
reliable date for.  The media, given often special "preannouncement" info
are in at least as damnable a postion on this as the rest of the bloody
"industry."

Or doesn't the customer count for anything but his sucker value?
--
Michael L. Siemon
contracted to AT&T Bell Laboratories