[comp.sys.mac] VAPOR WARE - SUPERMAC Flame!!!

hansen@hotspur.usc.edu (Richard Hansen) (08/18/88)

What has been the experience of other people on the net with SUPERMAC?

Sometime last spring (about March, I believe) I received a notice and
coupons from SUPERMAC for upgrading my DISKFIT and SUPERSPOOL to the
newest versions. In early June I called SUPERMAC and talked with their
software upgrade department regarding the upgrades which had not yet been
delivered. SUPERMAC said that the new versions wouldn't be ready until late
June at the earliest. (Obviously, their new versions were at that
point in time "V A P O R  W A R E"!!!)

Two weeks ago I noticed on my bank card statement that SUPERMAC had charged
my credit card for the price of the upgrades plus shipping, with the
transaction date July 2, 1988. As of today, August 17, 1988, I have not
received the upgrades.

In the last two weeks I have placed more than 10 phone calls to SUPERMAC to
find out what had happened and where were the upgrades. Each time I called I
first got the switchboard operator who supposedly then connected me to the
individual supposedly in charge of updates. But instead of talking to a real
live person I got an answering machine which said if I would leave a message
that person would get back to me. I even asked the switch board operator to
connect me to a real live person. When she did I got an anwering machine.
Finally, I asked for the General Manager (by name), and I got an answering
machine. No one, not even the general manager has returned my phone call.

Now, many of you might be saying "He must have been unclear regarding his
questions, concern, or forgot to leave his phone number" or maybe "He must
have been rude or something else to make SUPERMAC think it was just a crank
call". Let me assure you I was careful in giving my name, number, and subject.

Enough, already. What is the solution? I want my upgrades or money back. Does
anyone out there have any suggestions?

postmaster@mailcom.UUCP (Bernard Aboba) (08/18/88)

The answer to your problem is very simple.  Inform your credit card
company that the upgrades from SUPERMAC were never received, and that you
wish to have payment witheld.  This is how I have dealt with firms that
charge my credit card without delivering the goods.

---
 * Origin: sun!sunncal!mailcom  Palo Alto (415) 855-9548 (Opus 1:204/444)
SEEN-BY: 204/444

FidoNet:   1:204/444    UUCP: ...!sun!sunncal!mailcom!bernard
INTERNET:  sunncal!mailcom!bernard@Sun.COM
US MAIL:   Bernard Aboba, 101 First St. #224, Los Altos CA 94022

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (08/19/88)

>Enough, already. What is the solution? I want my upgrades or money back. Does
>anyone out there have any suggestions?

Certainly. Send a letter requesting your money back, stating that it has been
more than a month since you ordered. Send by certified mail. Point
out that they are required by federal law to ship within a month or give
your money back (which they are). IF they don't send it back soon,
complain to the appropriate law enforcement orginization.

Fabian@cup.portal.com (08/19/88)

Richard,

Please see my E-Mail message.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) (08/19/88)

In article <11658@oberon.USC.EDU> hansen@hotspur.usc.edu () writes:
>Sometime last spring (about March, I believe) I received a notice and
>coupons from SUPERMAC for upgrading my DISKFIT and SUPERSPOOL to the
>newest versions.

>Two weeks ago I noticed on my bank card statement that SUPERMAC had charged
>my credit card for the price of the upgrades plus shipping, with the
>transaction date July 2, 1988. As of today, August 17, 1988, I have not
>received the upgrades.

>Enough, already. What is the solution? I want my upgrades or money back. Does
>anyone out there have any suggestions?

The DataFrame-specific versions of SuperMac utilities is in the
comp.binaries.mac queue to be posted.  Given the current backlog
(the latest versions of StuffIt Utilities and documentation), I
would guess that the SuperMac postings will go out within a week.

--
	Roger L. Long
	dhw68k!bytebug

mls@whutt.UUCP (Michael Siemon) (08/20/88)

Just to include another -- and contrary data point -- I just got in
the mail today a PixelPaint upgrade (1.1) that I didn't even know
about, let alone ask for.  It seems to have done something to hook
in with QuickerDraw -- screen handling is MUCH better now.  Thanks.
--
Michael L. Siemon
contracted to AT&T Bell Laboratories

dbw@crash.cts.com (David B. Whiteman) (08/21/88)

As I understand it Supermac has been involved in some corporate upheavals:
Levco has divorced Supermac and has become/ or will become a one or two private
entities.  Supermac has also left SMS.  I am sure once the CPA's and lawyers
settle down both Levco and Supermac will go back to being very reliable about
delivery dates.