[comp.sys.mac] RAM usage

hin@tnosel.UUCP (Hin Oey) (08/19/88)

L.S.

Allthough I am using MAC's for some time, I only :-) used it
as a sketch book. Now I am also using scanners, for which
the amount of system memory is much more critical. I am
wondering if there is some utility which gives you an
indication of wich programs are taking up RAM.

Regards,
Hin Oey (hin@tnosel) Netherlands

lemke@Apple.COM (Steve Lemke) (08/22/88)

In article <805@tnosel.UUCP> hin@tnosel.UUCP (Hin Oey) writes:
>Allthough I am using MAC's for some time, I only :-) used it
>as a sketch book. Now I am also using scanners, for which
>the amount of system memory is much more critical. I am
>wondering if there is some utility which gives you an
>indication of wich programs are taking up RAM.

If you want to find out how much memory each startup init is taking up, get
one of the inits such as Tattle-Tale 1.00 (I got it from CompuServe).  Then
You put a space or two in front of its name so it will be the first thing
to start up.  It will monitor each following init and tell you just how much
memory each of them are reserving for themselves.

If you're running finder and you pull down "About Finder" you'll see how much
memory the "system" is taking up, and how much is available to your applica-
tions.  If you're running MultiFinder, pull down "About Finder" when the
finder is active and you'll see a similar memory display.

			===== Steve Lemke =====
Internet (?): lemke@apple.com    UUCP: {sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!lemke
   AppleLink: LEMKE             GEnie:  S.Lemke
All opinions are, of course, mine, and could never belong to anyone else!

chari@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Chris Whatley) (08/22/88)

In article <805@tnosel.UUCP>, hin@tnosel.UUCP (Hin Oey) writes:
> L.S.
>[stuff deleted]
> wondering if there is some utility which gives you an
> indication of wich programs are taking up RAM.

 Something that would tell you this is the "About the Finder" window that comes
up under finder 6.0 or later which tells you how much RAM you have, how much
the System (and any inits/Startup Documents) and how much memory each
application is using (when you are under mutifinder).

Even if you are not under mutifinder, you can see how much memory the System
uses and judge how many inits you have to throw away from that.

> Regards,
> Hin Oey (hin@tnosel) Netherlands

Chris

INET: chari@killer.DALLAS.TX.US   |  "Henry, have you and Mary
UUCP: chari@killer.UUCP           |   had sexual intercourse?"
CI$: 71370,1654                   |                -Mrs. X