[comp.sys.mac] SUM bugs

cmoore@maddog.llnl.gov (08/06/88)

I just got SUM in the mail from Symantec.  In playing with it
I found two (apparent) bugs.

1. Symantec tools refuses to directly access any sector numbered
   larger than 32767.  The only way to get at such sectors is to
   figure out what file they are in or single step starting from
   sector number 32767.  Somebody needs to use a long integer here.

2. HD Tuneup refuses to optimize some of my larger files (system for
   instance) and gives a 'cannot optimize' error.  The manual says
   that this indicates that there was not enough contiguous free
   space to defragment the file.  This cannot be the case since
   my hard drive currently has about 20Mb contiguous free space.

[ Environment = Mac Plus 1Mb, System tools 5.0, Jasmine Direct Drive 50Mb
  INITS = Shield, Suitcase 1.2.4, Randomizer, On Cue. ]

Anyone know if these are fixed in the rumored SUM update?

Christopher B. Moore
cmoore@maddog.llnl.gov

Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com (08/09/88)

Well, I think that the reason SUM can not fix the system file is that the Mac
won't let it.  If you boot up with the SUM disk and then try and tune up your
HD (not running SUM off the HD) it should work.  If not, then you are right,
it is a bug.  I have no comment on the 32000+ error.

I am biased though, it just saved two of my hard drives....

Mark Cookson

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (08/09/88)

In article <11071@lll-winken.llnl.gov> cmoore@maddog.llnl.gov () writes:
>I just got SUM in the mail from Symantec.  In playing with it
>I found two (apparent) bugs.
>[...]
>
>2. HD Tuneup refuses to optimize some of my larger files (system for
>   instance) and gives a 'cannot optimize' error.  The manual says
>   that this indicates that there was not enough contiguous free
>   space to defragment the file.  This cannot be the case since
>   my hard drive currently has about 20Mb contiguous free space.

Had this same problem with the System file; however, when I ran HD Tuneup on
the same disk -- when I had *not* booted from that disk -- it optimized
without a complaint.

I have a suspicion, with no foundation in knowledge, that HD Tuneup will
either not optimize files that are currently open, or will not optimize the
System file on the boot disk.  Anyone know for sure?  I'd bet that this is a
"feature not a bug" situation.

                        "Never face facts; if you do, you'll never get up in
                         the morning."
                                        -- Marlo Thomas
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (08/09/88)

In article <4737@fluke.COM>, moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
> In article <11071@lll-winken.llnl.gov> cmoore@maddog.llnl.gov () writes:

> >2. HD Tuneup refuses to optimize some of my larger files (system for ex.)

> I have a suspicion, with no foundation in knowledge, that HD Tuneup will
> either not optimize files that are currently open, or will not optimize the
> System file on the boot disk.  Anyone know for sure?  I'd bet that this is a
> "feature not a bug" situation.

	I did not even expect HD-TuneUp to be able to defragment my System
	file on the hard disk if I was running from the hard disk.

	For such work, I boot from a "CLEAN" floppy, create a RAMdisk and
	move the System Folder there and run the  utilities from there.
	no reason to take chances mucking around with my "essentials"
	with all those weird INITs and other stuff which makes my HD-System
	Folder an accident waiting to happen ... I just know that someone
	will now ask me which RAMdisk I have all this confidence in ....(-:

--
-------------------->PREFERED-RETURN-ADDRESS-FOLLOWS<---------------------
(INTERNET)	werner%rascal.ics.utexas.edu@cs.utexas.edu

jimd@gssc.UUCP (Overfed Longhaired Leaping Gnome) (08/11/88)

In article <2991@utastro.UUCP> werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>In article <4737@fluke.COM>, moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>> In article <11071@lll-winken.llnl.gov> cmoore@maddog.llnl.gov () writes:
>
>> >2. HD Tuneup refuses to optimize some of my larger files (system for ex.)

	I just purchased SUM and in the Readme file it states that it
cannot optimize either files in use or files that are locked (SUM v1.0).
My problem is that I am trying to recover a crashed disk (Rodime 20MB
internal on an SE) and the program will get to the point of initializing
the first disk and then crash with an 02 error.  If I tell it I want to
select the files myself when it goes to recover any file I select it
also crashes.  I don't think it's my hard disk as SUM shows all of my
files (really nice to see the files you need and can't get them back).

jimd

			Plunk your magic Plunker, Froggie
					Buster Brown Show

Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com (08/13/88)

You are not supposed to modify or move the system on the boot drive.  That is
why you can't remove from memory the startup disk, the system needs to be
able to find itself.  Font/DA mover works well, but have you noticed that it
doesn't have a DA menu?  Ever wonder why?  Ever wonder why Suitcase and Font/DA
Juggler warn when you are about to close a font file?  Because weird things
happen when you change the system file when it is in use.  By the way, weird
things happen to most files when they are already open and something else comes
along and trys to change them.  That's also (I think) why you can't launch
the same application more than once over a network or Multifinder (unless it is
a multiuser application, but they might have multiple copies to get around
that, I wouldn't know though).

Mark Cookson

dean@aoa.UUCP (Dean Wormell) (08/22/88)

One more potential bug....

Is it possible to create a volume parameter file for the partitioned part
of a SCSI disk?  The manual lead me to believe that I could do this; but,
when tryed in Disk Clinic(tm) the standard file save dialog box (for
saving the newly created parameter file) never appears.  Maybe the real
question is, "Is it nessecary to create a volume parameter file for the
partitioned part of a SCSI disk when one already exists for that SCSI
disk?".

Vital stats...
	Mac II w/ 2 Meg, Internal Apple 40 Meg drive
	Running System Release 6.0
	Several INITs including Suitcase

Thanks for listening... and BTW -- SUM is a hell of a great product!
--

		Dean Wormell

			...!{harvard,ima}!bbn!aoa!dean