[comp.sys.mac] Sounds and stuff

hgw@MATH.UCLA.EDU (08/20/88)

I have downloaded SoundMaster from rascal.ics.utexas.edu and it doesn't work.
It keep on complaining about the application either busy or missing.  BTY, there
was only one file downloaded, am I missing another half.

On the same subject, is there a program the can "dump" digitized sound from a
hard disk?  Presently, sound programs can only play what is stored in memory.
On a mac+ only one meg can be played eventhough a file might be larger.

Harold Wong         (213) 825-9040
UCLA-Mathnet; 3915F MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA 90024-1555
ARPA: hgw@math.ucla.edu          BITNET: hgw%math.ucla.edu@INTERBIT

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (08/20/88)

> I have downloaded SoundMaster from rascal.ics.utexas.edu and it doesn't work.
> It keep on complaining about the application either busy or missing.  BTY, there
> was only one file downloaded, am I missing another half.

It worked fine for me.  Are you aware that it's a CDEV that needs to be
installed in the System Folder?  If so, did you read the "About" dialog
where it tells you that if you're replacing an older version, you have to
set your sounds anew?

Mike Khaw
--
internet: mkhaw@teknowledge.arpa
uucp:	  {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge.arpa

ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) (08/21/88)

In article <15375@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> hgw@MATH.UCLA.EDU (Harold Wong) writes:
>I have downloaded SoundMaster from rascal.ics.utexas.edu and it doesn't work.
>It keep on complaining about the application either busy or missing.

It is not an application.  It is a cdev.  Put it in your system folder (you
must be using system 4.1 or higher) and open the control panel.  It should
show up as one of the icons there.

I am using the copy from Rascal with no problems.

-ajw

Andy J. Williams '90   |           <hello>           | ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Systems Programmer     |  set $NAME='inigo_montoya'  |      31 North Main Street
Kiewit Computation Ctr |   You kill -9 my process    |         Hanover NH, 03755
Dartmouth College      |        prepare to vi        |  115 Kiewit, 603-646-2636

t-jacobs@utah-cs.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) (08/23/88)

In article <15375@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> hgw@MATH.UCLA.EDU (Harold Wong) writes:
>I have downloaded SoundMaster from rascal.ics.utexas.edu and it doesn't work.

So did I and it works fine. It sounds like you are trying to run it as an
application which it isn't. It's a control panel file. Put it in you system and
open the control panel and it should be there.

--
Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu