[comp.sys.mac] Dimmer Screensaver

siow@s.cs.uiuc.edu (08/19/88)

Does anyone know of the latest version of Dimmer written by Chris Derossi?
This is a cdev/init which dims the screen and allows all backgraound tasks
to continue.  The version I have (v 1.0) crashes when loaded with Quickeys or
MacroMaker.  I am using System 6.0 on a 2 meg Mac II with a list of other inits
which caused no problems.

Thanks.

PS:  This is not the cdev/init Dimmer 1.3 by Charles Lakos (posted to the
net recently) which blacks out the screen completely.

---------------
Alan Siow
siow@cs.uiuc.edu

ogus@crystal.berkeley.edu (Arthur E. Ogus) (08/22/88)

I recentely obtained Dimmer 1.01 from BMUG.  I can't detect any
differences between it and Dimmer 1.0.  It also crashes with Macro
Maker.  There is supposed to be a commerical release of it coming up
soon, described on the net, in fact, which may be compatible with
Macro Maker, but I don't know anything about it.

spector@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) (08/23/88)

There is a snippet in this week's MacWeek that MicroSeeds, the developers of
the backup program Redux, will be releasing "Screen Gems" which will have
Paul Mercers's Color Desk, Billy Steinberg's Switch-a-roo,  Chris Derossi's
Dimmer, the color-spinning-globe-demo and something called TN-3 which lets
users select colors for things on the desk top...

...looks interesting, but they want, (dig this) $79...which is a bit much
considering that switch-a-roo and the globe have been available for some
time from various on-line sources...

_DHMS
David HM Spector				New York University
Senior Systems Programmer			Graduate School of Business
Arpa: SPECTOR@GBA.NYU.EDU			Academic Computing Center
UUCP:...!{allegra,rocky,harvard}!cmcl2!spector	90 Trinity Place, Rm C-4
HamRadio: N2BCA      MCIMail: DSpector          New York, New York 10006
AppleLink: D1161     CompuServe: 71260,1410     (212) 285-6080
"What computer puts out work like this?"  "Hire us and we'll tell you."

XYZZYGLORP
From: spector@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector)
Date: 22-Aug-88 15:15 EDT
Subject: Re: Where to get Hypercard 1.2 (Upgrade policy)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hypercard

Hmmmmmm... HyperCard doesn't HAVE a registration card.  The upgrade is *very*
inexpensive... in fact its FREE.   Just bring your original disks into your
authorised Apple dealer and ask them to copy the new HyperCard onto'em.

I believe that this is the case for ALL Apple System Software.  If you want
shiney new manuals, well... that'll cost you money, $49.00 in the case of the
System Tools distribution.  Which is why Apple set up their yearly update
service.

Note:
System Software == [System_Tools_Disks|HyperCard]