[comp.sys.mac] US ImageWrite II on 220V/50Hz?

borton@uva.UUCP (Chris Borton) (08/19/88)

I would like to know if anyone has seen or used (physically) a U.S.
ImageWriter II on 50Hz.  Yes, it needs 110V.  A transformer makes that
220V very easily.  But, the Apple specs say that it only accepts 60Hz
current; adapters that change this too are not worth the big $$.

The primary reason I ask is because

1) Apple basically says it won't work and implies therewith (I think) that it
   will damage the printer.
2) Two years ago in Germany I worked with a U.S. LaserWriter, running off
   of a mere voltage adaptor, and it worked fine.  Against Apple's words.
   Ignorance was bliss.

Now, can anyone enlighten the situation a bit as well?  I can well understand
why a computer dependent upon the cycle for the clock frequency wouldn't
necessarily like 50Hz, but how does that apply to the printer?  What would
theoretically happen?

This inquisitive mind would like to know before going to Mr. Friendly Apple
Dealer and paying far too much for a mere power supply.

Thanks for listening...

-cbb

P.S.  My SE handled the switch beautifully :-).  Shipped CA->NL with Emery
	Worldwide, plugged it in, and home I was.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>	/* I only have opinions, anyway, not $$ :-) */
--
Chris Borton	borton%uva@mcvax.{nl,bitnet,uucp}
(oops, that's rather flakey right now: use borton%uva@hasara5.bitnet)

jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (Jeffrey C. Kantor) (08/24/88)

In article <522@uva.UUCP>, borton@uva.UUCP (Chris Borton) writes:
> I would like to know if anyone has seen or used (physically) a U.S.
> ImageWriter II on 50Hz.  Yes, it needs 110V.  A transformer makes that

Yes, I did this for 6 months in England.  Worked great.  Simply pluggeg
my IM II into a transformer (220 --> 110) and had no problems.  It took
some courage.

--
Jeff Kantor
                                       US Mail:  Dept. of Chemical Engineering