[comp.sys.mac] Mac games Air Warrior

msm@pitstop.UUCP (Mark Miller) (08/24/88)

In article <326@island.uu.net> robert@island.uu.net (Robert Leyland) writes:

>If you are into Flight Simulator I recommend checking out "Air Warrior" by
>KESMAI Corporation, available on GEnie. It is a simulator of limited scope,
>resricted to WW1 and WW2 planes. In its stand alone mode, you get to fly
>around the terrain, and practice. There aren't many options, and it is fairly
>easy to fly. In beginner (dweeb, or auto-pilot) mode it is easier than AFT. In
>expert mode it is harder than AFT and simpler than MS Flight Sim.
>
>The *real* fun comes when you go on-line, through the GEnie netowrk and get
>to dogfight with other people also running the software. You can also run
>bombing missions, either as the pilot, or a gunner with someone else flying!
>
>The program itself is free, just download it, or get it from a friend...
>GEnie cost $5/hr which is where they make their money :-)
>
>Robert Leyland
>
>Non-Std Disclaimer: I don't stand to gain anything by this endorsement, except
>perhaps to introduce some new pilots, who will be easy targets :-) :-)

YES! YES! Air Warrior *NEEDS* more novices, we'll all "benefit" from it.
Seriously, though. I have yet to see a flight simulator that can rival
Air Warrior in pure fun. This is mainly because 1) the simulation is a
COMBAT simulation, so all non-vital stuff is tossed; and 2) you're fighting
real live (soon to be dead) people. It's very easy after a while to outfly
and outthink a computer opponent. Real folks aren't so easy to fool, so it's
a constant challenge to not only improve your flying skills, but also your
ability to anticipate and outmanouever other people (who are trying to do
the same). Everything else seems bland after Air Warrior. Even the most
hardened techie is at some point impressed with the fact that he/she can
shoot down someone in New York while playing in LA all over a phone line -
all in real time! The only drawbacks to Air Warrior are that it is totally
addictive and, consequently, a financial sink-hole even at $5/hr (i.e.
some restraint must be shown). It is definately worth checking out!

	-Mark Miller
	 (...!sun!semprini!msmiller)

Similar Disclaimer: I gain nothing by recommending AW, save a few juicy new
targets.