[comp.sys.mac] Cute LaserWriter Names

merchant@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Peter Merchant) (08/17/88)

In article <137@lloyd.camex.uucp> kent@lloyd.UUCP (Kent Borg) writes:
>(This is your opportunity to be creative!  . . .  Or you can be more
>traditional: The Boston Computer Society has LaserWriters named Larry,
>Curley, and Moe.)

We had a LaserWriter called "Rich & Famous".  We then called the AppleTalk
ImageWriter "Poor & Unknown".  A pity that the military has no imagination and
I had to change them to something dull.

Anyone else ever come up with any good network names?
---
"There were times we had it all,        Peter Merchant (merchant@eleazar.UUCP)
 There were times we lost it all..."          (merchant@eleazar.dartmouth.edu)
                                              (Peter.G.Merchant@dartmouth.edu)

ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) (08/17/88)

In article <9816@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> merchant@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Peter Merchant) writes:

>We had a LaserWriter called "Rich & Famous".  We then called the AppleTalk
>ImageWriter "Poor & Unknown".  A pity that the military has no imagination and
>I had to change them to something dull.

>Anyone else ever come up with any good network names?

Well, where I worked last summer I named the two laserwriters Bogart and
Becall.  I even found some digitized pictures of them and pasted them to the
LWs.  My co-workers found this amusing.

However, when I put startup screens and sounds on all the macs around the
office one morning (these people were mac neophytes, they had no clue how to
do this or how to stop it) they flipped.  They loved it.  Well, they did.
The boss didn't.  When I finally left to return up here to college, the boss
gruffly asked me to make sure I removed that "noise" ASAP.  I was so tempted
to leave them... no one there knew how to fix it... alas, level headedness
prevailed... but I always wondered what would have happened...

-Andy :-) :-) :-)

Andy J. Williams '90   |           <hello>           | ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Systems Programmer     |  set $NAME='inigo_montoya'  |      31 North Main Street
Kiewit Computation Ctr |   You kill -9 my process    |         Hanover NH, 03755
Dartmouth College      |        prepare to vi        |  115 Kiewit, 603-646-2636

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (08/18/88)

In article <9816@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> merchant@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Peter Merchant) writes:
>In article <137@lloyd.camex.uucp> kent@lloyd.UUCP (Kent Borg) writes:
>>(This is your opportunity to be creative!  . . .  Or you can be more
>>traditional: The Boston Computer Society has LaserWriters named Larry,
>>Curley, and Moe.)
>
>We had a LaserWriter called "Rich & Famous".  We then called the AppleTalk
>ImageWriter "Poor & Unknown".  A pity that the military has no imagination and
>I had to change them to something dull.
>
>Anyone else ever come up with any good network names?

We had a Sun cluster with two servers going in for the Humanities department
sometime ago, so I put my two cents into the name pot and came up with the
names "Laurel" and "Harty".  They didn't think much of my names, so I came
up with "War" and "Peace".  Still no go.  (Perhaps you can tell my opinion
of Suns. Please, no flames :-)

For Unix systems at Berkeley, we tended to name things in series.  There was
the semi-precious stone series (opal, garnet, topaz, ruby, etc), the flower
series (violet, lilac, etc), the Vaxs (kim [NoVax], ernie [KoVax]), the
seven deadly Suns (lust, greed, etc).  When we ran out of semi-precious
stones that were easy to spell (like amethyst), we jokingly suggested
dirt, rubble, sand and schist.

Edward Moy				Principal Programmer - Macintosh & Unix
Workstation Support Services		Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy

prince@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) (08/18/88)

In article <13375@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu writes:

>>Anyone else ever come up with any good network names?

Our first Sun 3/280 was named Ra (the Sun God).  As we acquired more, we
came up with some other SUNny names: Maui, Lanai, Oahu, and Kona.

		    UCLA Computer Science Department
   -- Larry         3413 Boelter Hall   Los Angeles 90024  (213) 825-2145
	 Prince     UUCP:    {ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!prince
		    ARPAnet:  prince@CS.UCLA.EDU

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (08/18/88)

In article <13375@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu writes:
> For Unix systems at Berkeley, we tended to name things in series.

	When it came time to christen our 2 Sun file servers, we named them
in honor of the two Sun field service techs who did the installation --
Wombat and Goober.

	No kidding.
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (08/26/88)

  Cute LaserWriter names so far:

    Worthless Test Page.    (Printed at the top of every test page)
    LaserWriter & right next to it EvilTwin

Pierce
wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu    pwetter@caltech.bitnet pwetter@caltech.edu
  Weird theory #47: Islamic women can do kinky things with their ankles,
                    that's why the Koran says they aren't supposed to
                    reveal them in public.