[comp.sys.mac] MacRecorder/Studio Session Questions

ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) (08/26/88)

[]

This summer I bought Farallon's MacRecorder and Bogas Productions' Studio
Session.  They are GREAT!  All I can say is if you are at all producing
music using your Mac and you are on a limited budget (i.e. can't afford a
sequencer or a MIDI interface) this is the way to go!

I have a few questions:

1) Are there any public Pascal of C routines which will play a Studio
Session song?  (Falcon does this at startup).

2) What is the best way to save a MacRecorder sound as an instrument?  When
I save it as instrument it asks me if I want to compensate for non standard
recording rates (I sample in 22k mode).  If I say OK it can only be played
back properly in SS as a very very very low note.  If I say "CANCEL" it
plays back in SS at about a middle c (or a little above) which is good, but
if I then load it back into MacRecorder it plays at only half speed.  How
can I save so that it loads back into MacRecorder at the right rate (I know
how to set pitches, but it's a pain) and so it plays back in SS at a
reasonable note range (how can I control that?)

3) Is there a public repository of SS songs or is anyone willing to share
songs and info and sounds?  I'd be very interested in seeing what others
have done and in sharing what I have (will) done (do).

4) Is the format of SS songs publically available?

5) Is the format of MacRecorder sounds available?

eMail to me and I will post a summary if there is interest.

Thanks in advance!

Andy

Andy J. Williams '90   |           <hello>           | ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Systems Programmer     |  set $NAME='inigo_montoya'  |      31 North Main Street
Kiewit Computation Ctr |   You kill -9 my process    |         Hanover NH, 03755
Dartmouth College      |        prepare to vi        |  115 Kiewit, 603-646-2636

gae@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (08/26/88)

In article <9923@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) writes:

>3) Is there a public repository of SS songs or is anyone willing to share
>songs and info and sounds?  I'd be very interested in seeing what others
>have done and in sharing what I have (will) done (do).

There are a great many Studio Session songs on CompuServe.  No, I won't upload
them here, since most popular songs are, in fact, copyrighted.
For some reason the CompuServe Sysops, while coming down hard on copyrighted
software uploads, don't bat an eye at copyrighted song uploads.
--
  Gerald A. Edgar                               TS1871@OHSTVMA.bitnet
  Department of Mathematics                     gae@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu