[comp.sys.mac] What's the best home finance package for the mac?

czei@accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael S. Czeiszperger) (08/21/88)

Hello.  I'm finally making enough money to wonder where
its all going.  Since using a program would probably be
the easiest way of doing this, I'd like to hear about
other's experiences in this area.  I've looked at a
friend's copy of Dollars and Sense, but there's a couple
of bugs, and I don't think its available anymore anyway.

The ideal package for my purpose would allow the easy tracking
of income and expenses, for the purpose of budgeting and
taxes.  One thing I didn't like about D&S was the lack of
features relating to taxes.  (I've never made enough to
worry about itemizing, and the idea of keeping track of
all those details is daunting)

Thanks for any advice,

--
Michael S. Czeiszperger    | "The only good composer is a dead composer"
Systems Analyst            | Snail: 2015 Neil Avenue         (614)

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) (08/22/88)

In article <495@accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu> Michael S. Czeiszperger writes:
> I've looked at a friend's copy of Dollars and Sense, but there's a
> couple of bugs, and I don't think its available anymore anyway.

It's still available, and is what I use currently.

> The ideal package for my purpose would allow the easy tracking of
> income and expenses, for the purpose of budgeting and taxes.  One
> thing I didn't like about D&S was the lack of features relating to
> taxes.  (I've never made enough to worry about itemizing, and the
> idea of keeping track of all those details is daunting)

I've been itemizing for awhile, and collect data all year with D&S which
I then export to MacInTax to fill in my return.  Entries in D&S can be
flagged as a "Tax Item", and the export utility will either total every-
thing in a catagory, or just the tax items.  Thus, you can have an
"interest income" catagory, and tally your IRA interest and your checking
account interest, but only have your checking account interest show up
in the totals you export to your favorite tax package.

I've used Dollars & Sense for more than three years now, and MacInTax for
the past two, and I've been satisfied.
--
	Roger L. Long
	dhw68k!bytebug

cosmos@druhi.ATT.COM (Ronald A. Guest) (08/23/88)

I have been using MacMoney for a couple of years now, and I think it's
wonderful.  I have NEVER lost any data and that's the first criteria for an
acceptable program of this kind.  It allows you to set up monthly budgets
for items, mark categories as taxable (so you can generate reports at year
eand), do income and expense reports and do net worth reports.  It is
avaliable mail order at a very inexpensive price.  The only time I had a
question about MacMoney I called up and got a very simple and knowledgeable
answer.  They have issued a couple of updates since I got the program, each
containing valuable enhancements.  Works on either two floppies or a hard
disk.  Handles credit cards, bank accounts, etc.  I highly recommend it.

Ronald A. Guest, Supervisor     ...!ihnp4!druhi!cosmos
AT&T Bell Laboratories          <--- but these are my thoughts, not theirs
12110 N. Pecos St.              Denver, Colorado 80234          (303) 538-4896

ph@cci632.UUCP (Pete Hoch) (08/26/88)

In article <3416@druhi.ATT.COM>, (Ronald A. Guest) writes:

> I have been using MacMoney for a couple of years now, and I think it's
> wonderful.  I have NEVER lost any data and that's the first criteria for an
> acceptable program of this kind.
[ fetures list ]
> I highly recommend it.
>
> Ronald A. Guest, Supervisor     ...!ihnp4!druhi!cosmos

I just wanted to second this responce.  I have used MacMoney for about 18
months now and I love it.  I have even had the system crash while in the
program and I did not loose the data I had just input. I have run the
program on a plus and a MacII, under finder and MultiFinder.  I have never
any problems with it.  One of the things I like the best is the reporting
and graphing facilities.  You can generate a report catigories, by transaction
type, by expence, income, assets, all.  The graphics can be cut and pasted
into any draw program and all the little items are seperate objects.  So
you can turn their pie chart into an exploded pie chart if you want.  Another
feature that I use in the graphs is to compare this years figures to last
years.  It will also generate a trend line for you so you can get a quick
feel for how your average monthly expences or incomes or assets are changing.

In short I like it a lot and recomend it to anyone.

Pete Hoch                ...!rochester!cci632!ph

atchison@hpindda.HP.COM (Lee Atchison) (08/27/88)

I use Quicken.  It is cheap, easy to use, and flexible.  It does allow
you to do some tax-related things (I don't use it however, so I don't
know how useful the tax stuff is).

I have it write my monthly checks for me and everything, works great!

I think its something like $49 from Egghead software and equivalent
retail places.  Much cheaper than D&S.

			-lee
----
Lee Atchison
Hewlett Packard, Business Networks Division
Cupertino, CA 95014
atchison%hpindda@hplabs.hp.com