[comp.sys.mac] Technical Word Processors

dsk@mtgzy.att.com (d.s.klett) (08/25/88)

I am interested in what is available for the Mac in the area of technical
word processors.  What I mean by technical is the ability to handle math
equations.  I would prefer a WYSIWYG style WP, but a TeX type of WP
would be okay.  Is a TeX package available for the Mac?  If so, who is the
supplier?  I have an HP DeskJet printer, and so hopefully the WP would have
support for that printer, or the ability to customize the package for the
printer.  Thanks.

	Don Klett
	(201)957-2808 (0ffice)
	(201)671-7892 (Home)

lee@net1.ucsd.edu (Lee Tablewski) (08/27/88)

In article <4126@mtgzy.att.com> dsk@mtgzy.att.com (d.s.klett) writes:

>I am interested in what is available for the Mac in the area of technical
>word processors.  What I mean by technical is the ability to handle math
>equations.  I would prefer a WYSIWYG style WP, but a TeX type of WP
>would be okay.  Is a TeX package available for the Mac?

I use and like  Textures, a TeX implementation by Kellerman & Smith.
Formerly it was available from Addison-Wesley; it is now being
handled by Blue Sky Research in Portland, Oregon.  This is a recent
corporate shift.  Blue Sky's phone numbers are (800) 622-8398 or
(503) 222-9571.  Retail is $495 and their educational price is $395.
Current version number is 1.01B.

>I have an HP DeskJet printer, and so hopefully the WP would have
>support for that printer, or the ability to customize the package for the
>printer.
>	Don Klett

Textures has no official support for any printers other than the LaserWriter.
According to Barry Smith at Blue Sky, there are a few drivers which
are reputed to operate with with the DeskJet at a "primitive level."  These
include one from Softstyle for the laserjet and the Grappler LQ (which
some people report does a fairly good job).  There is also a new
driver from QMS for the Laserjet Series 2 printers for the Mac.  I
don't have any additional info on the QMS driver.

Another TeX implementation is available as MacTeX from FTL systems
Inc. of Toronto, Canada.  I have no experience with MacTeX, as I am a
satisfied Textures user. Hope this helps and is of general interest.

Lee Tablewski		lmtablewski@ucsd.bitnet
Univ. of CA, San Diego	lmtablewski@ucsd.arpa