[comp.sys.mac] Mac II power up problem.

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (08/19/88)

I believe the Mac II has circuitry to keep you from powering it
up/down quickly.  So if your machine ran for a few hours, you
may have to wait a few moments until it cools off, before you can
power it back up.

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,ihnp4,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

nopuklic@ndsuvax.UUCP (Blayne Puklich) (08/21/88)

In article <76000276@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>I believe the Mac II has circuitry to keep you from powering it
>up/down quickly.  So if your machine ran for a few hours, you
>may have to wait a few moments until it cools off, before you can
>power it back up.
>
>Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
>1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
>ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,ihnp4,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

	No way, man!  I have a II that stays on all day, and I can
turn it on and off very quickly.  It'll power up directly after the
Shutdown Manager gets done.

||+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++||
||	Blayne Puklich			nopuklic@plains.NoDak.edu	   ||
||	NDSU Student ACM     use this-> NU087763@NDSUVM1.bitnet		   ||
||	Chairperson		  North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND ||
||									   ||
||		"Everyone should have a Corvette, I think."		   ||
||-------------------------------------------------------------------------||

jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (J. Chris Cooley) (08/22/88)

In article <76000276@p.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> I believe the Mac II has circuitry to keep you from powering it
> up/down quickly.  So if your machine ran for a few hours, you
> may have to wait a few moments until it cools off, before you can
> power it back up.

Actually, it has nothing to do with heat, but with letting all the
silicon components "discharge" (for lack of a better word).  Apparently,
there can be damage if an IC which has some arbitrary voltage across
it (from the power-down) gets its regular voltage from the power-up
applied to it.

This is nothing new.  I was told of this back when my Radio Shack
Model 1 was a big contender in the computer ring.  I've personally
seen that computers sometimes don't power up if not let to sit a few
seconds after power-down.

> Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
> 1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
> ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,ihnp4,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

					--chris

Disclaimer:  I'm not pretending to be anyone significantly skilled in
             electronics.

--
J. Chris Cooley                         | husc6! -\
Computation. Center (COM 1)             |  im4u! -->-cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!jcc

espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) (08/27/88)

	OK....My Mac II power up problem is getting stranger all the time....

	When I am not using my Mac II, I turn it off, remove all the cables, and
lock the Mac II in a secure storage cabinet until I return the next day. The Mac II sits in the storage cabinet with the floppy drive slot facing down.
	When I return the next day, I plug in all the cables, and the Mac II will
not turn on at all with the Mac II sitting horizontally. If I turn the Mac II
on it's side (the side opposite the reset and interrupt switches) the Mac II
will power right up with the power on switch.
	I can then put the Mac II horizontal again ( CAREFULLY while it is booting up) and the Mac II will power up and down correctly all day long. When I return
the next day and take the Mac II out of storage again, the whole story repeats
itself.
	I know this sounds strange, but it IS what's happening, and YES, all\
power cables are OK and NOT intermittant with position etc.
	Can anyone even attempt to explain this??