[comp.sys.mac] 10 mths since memory ordered from Apple. Grrrrrrr!

pkahn@meridian.ads.com (Phil Kahn) (08/26/88)

I, along with three other people, bought MacIIs from Apple in November
as Apple Developers.  We got our 1MB machines, drives, monitors, etc,
but we are STILL waiting for our 4MB SIMM upgrades.  What makes this
so infuriating is that Apple is shipping these SIMMS (sold to others
at higher prices)!  Talk about sleazy business practices.

Several questions.  First, isn't it illegal for Apple to distribute
SIMMS to people that ordered after us?  We entered into a binding
agreement to deliver goods, and clearly that demonstrates poor faith
on the part of Apple which places them in breach. Second, if anyone
has had a similar experience and found a good way to deal with it that
got you the memory, let me know.  If any Apple employees read this, I
would appreciate your personal views on this.  I used to be an
evangelist, but I'm about ready to turn atheist.  Is it time for small
claims court?

phil...

bob@eecs.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (08/26/88)

> I, along with three other people, bought MacIIs from Apple in November
> as Apple Developers.  We got our 1MB machines, drives, monitors, etc,
> but we are STILL waiting for our 4MB SIMM upgrades.  What makes this
> so infuriating is that Apple is shipping these SIMMS (sold to others
> at higher prices)!  Talk about sleazy business practices.

I am not 100% sure about this, but I think that the 4M kits being
shipped are not the same 4M kits we ordered. These kits are made with
256K chips piggy backed to each other, not with the 1M kits. Therefore
Apple can send them to people who ordered these kits specifically, while
those of us who ordered the old ones can still wait.

I agree that this is infuriating, and I'm in the same boat. Just this
week our store got some of these new 4MB kits in, and I jumped
for joy until I found out that these were twice the price, and there
my manager won't let me take them. So I'm *still* waiting for the
"right" kinds of SIMMs to come in.

Bob Hablutzel		BOB@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU
Disclaimer:	HEY! I could be wrong.

jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (Chris Cooley) (08/26/88)

In article <5264@zodiac.UUCP>, pkahn@meridian.ads.com (Phil Kahn) writes:
| Several questions.  First, isn't it illegal for Apple to distribute
| SIMMS to people that ordered after us?  We entered into a binding
| agreement to deliver goods, and clearly that demonstrates poor faith
| on the part of Apple which places them in breach. Second, if anyone
| has had a similar experience and found a good way to deal with it that
| got you the memory, let me know.  If any Apple employees read this, I
| would appreciate your personal views on this.  I used to be an
| evangelist, but I'm about ready to turn atheist.  Is it time for small
| claims court?
|
| phil...
\________

Here's a bit of fuel for your fire.  Apple came to our University a few
months back to give an administrator's course on A/UX.  One of the
questions posed to the instructors dealt with the memory shortage.
I paraphrase the instructor's reply:  "If you buy an A/UX box, you
WILL have the memory you request.  You needn't worry about that."

					--chris

J. Chris Cooley                         | husc6! -\
Computation. Center (COM 1)             |  im4u! -->-cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!jcc
Univ. of Texas at Austin                | uunet! -/
Austin, TX  78712                       |

rob@uokmax.UUCP (Robert K Shull) (08/27/88)

In article <5264@zodiac.UUCP> pkahn@ads.com (Phil Kahn) writes:
>I, along with three other people, bought MacIIs from Apple in November
>as Apple Developers.  We got our 1MB machines, drives, monitors, etc,
>but we are STILL waiting for our 4MB SIMM upgrades.  What makes this
>so infuriating is that Apple is shipping these SIMMS (sold to others
>at higher prices)!  Talk about sleazy business practices.

Not really sleazy, just sane. When you buy as a developer (or as a
university employee in my case) you get "second class" service in
exchange for a price break. It states plainly in the information sheet
for university purchases that there are NO guarantees of delivery date.

It is stated that shipments under this program are lower priority.
Usually it doesn't matter, there isn't much difference. In this case, there
was. If you'd bought your Mac at a store, and others were getting their
memory before you, then you might have a complaint.

If you can't wait, I think National Semiconductor as SIMMs for overnight
delivery at about $500 a meg. You should be able to cancel your Apple
order and get those instead.

By the way, we've been waiting here since March, so you're not alone.

>phil...

Robert
--
Robert K. Shull
University of Oklahoma, Engineering Computer Network

donn@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Donn Fishbein) (08/29/88)

>Here's a bit of fuel for your fire.  Apple came to our University a few
>months back to give an administrator's course on A/UX.  One of the
>questions posed to the instructors dealt with the memory shortage.
>I paraphrase the instructor's reply:  "If you buy an A/UX box, you
>WILL have the memory you request.  You needn't worry about that."
>--
>J. Chris Cooley                         | husc6! -\

ditto..At the University Computer Store at Vanderbilt University,
the wait for 4M SIMM kits is six months and counting, but the A/UX
development system with 4M installed is in stock in quantity.  I have
heard that people buy the A/UX development system just to get the 4M,
and the first thing they do is reformat the A/UX disk. One really can't
blame Apple for giving higher priority to moving A/UX than upgrading existing
machines.

newsuser@LTH.Se (LTH network news server) (08/29/88)

The official word from Apple in Sweden is that if you order 1M SIMMs today,
it will take 10-14 _months_ until you recieve them. 256k SIMMs only takes
8-10 months -:). The prices went up by about 60% a couple of weeks ago.

So, 10 months doesn't seem unrealistic to me!

--
Roland Mansson, Lund University Computing Center, Box 783, S220 07 Lund, Sweden
Phone: +46-46107436   Fax: +46-46138225   Bitnet: roland_m@seldc52

mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (08/30/88)

In article <10330021@eecs.nwu.edu>, bob@eecs.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) writes:
> > I, along with three other people, bought MacIIs from Apple in November
> > as Apple Developers.  We got our 1MB machines, drives, monitors, etc,
> > but we are STILL waiting for our 4MB SIMM upgrades.  What makes this
> > so infuriating is that Apple is shipping these SIMMS (sold to others
> > at higher prices)!  Talk about sleazy business practices.
>
> I am not 100% sure about this, but I think that the 4M kits being
> shipped are not the same 4M kits we ordered. These kits are made with
> 256K chips piggy backed to each other, not with the 1M kits. Therefore
> Apple can send them to people who ordered these kits specifically, while
> those of us who ordered the old ones can still wait.

According to the latest information that I received, here are the latest
estimate of shipping delays on Apple memory products:

1MB Memory expansion kit (4x256k)   17 weeks
2MB Memory expansion kit (2x1M)     37 weeks
4MB Memory expansion kit (4x1M)     Not currently shipping

I would assume that the "not shipping" message means not yet available.

Michael Niehaus
Ball State University
UUCP: ..!{uunet,pur-ee,iuvax}!bsu-cs!mithomas