[comp.sys.mac] Mac Purchase

kurth@sco.COM (Kurt Hutchison) (08/23/88)

I am going to buy a Mac.  The question is
which one?  I get discount pricing through my
company, but I don't understand the difference
between a Mac+, an SE, and a Mac II.

I was going to buy a Mac+ but someone told
me I would be happier with an SE with a 20 MB hard disk.

I basically know very little about the mac line.
I want to use it for MIDI recording work and desktop publishing.

I have subscribed to this newsgroup so public or private responses
are fine at your discretion.

			thanks,
				- kurt
Kurt Hutchison		The Santa Cruz Operation	Software Engineer
Trumpet player, synth player, pianist, cyclist, philosopher at large
The above opinions (if any) are my own

jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) (08/27/88)

In article <1103@scolex>, kurth@sco.COM (Kurt Hutchison) writes:
> I am going to buy a Mac.  The question is
> which one?  I get discount pricing through my
> company, but I don't understand the difference
> between a Mac+, an SE, and a Mac II.
>
> I was going to buy a Mac+ but someone told
> me I would be happier with an SE with a 20 MB hard disk.
>
> 			thanks,
> 				- kurt
> Kurt Hutchison		The Santa Cruz Operation	Software Engineer

I would strongly recommend getting an SE with dual floppies, because:
1) it is faster when you are copying floppies,
2) saves you time and aggravation doing disk swaps,
3) it is less sensitive to being moved around than models with an internal hard disk,
4) and it is about $800 less than the model with a 20 Mb internal HD.

ALSO, you can buy some 30 Mb external HDs for less than $800 (and believe me,
after a few months you'll be glad you have 30 Mb rather than only 20)
particularly if you call, and inquire/buy from any of the following places:

MacConnection:  1-800-622-5472 (for $3 extra you can get overnight shipping by
Airborne)
Address is:  14 Mill St., Marlow, N.H. 03456

Another place for good savings on Mac software/hardware (and also Federal
Express overnight delivery for $3 extra) is MacWarehouse in New Jersey.
The number is:  1-800-255-6227

Another place is Computer Ware in Palo Alto, Calif.
Their number is:  1-800-235-1155
(Please note:  ComputerWare's prices aren't as good as MacConnection's or
MacWarehouse's, BUT they are the only place I know of that sells most MIDI
software and peripherals at discount).

I hope this helps.

					Jim Collymore

rich@scotty.UUCP (Rich Seyna) (08/30/88)

In article <729@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) writes:
>ALSO, you can buy some 30 Mb external HDs for less than $800 (and believe me,
>after a few months you'll be glad you have 30 Mb rather than only 20)
>particularly if you call, and inquire/buy from any of the following places:
>
>					Jim Collymore

Are there any recommendations on brands of hard disks?  Two friends at work had
problems with the PHOTON 30 (external) drive by WARP 9 ENGINEERING (three were
returned as defective out of three - two different machines).

I have seen adds for QUANTUM hard disks from MAX HARDWARE HOUSE in 40MB
and 80MB flavors.  Does anyone know of anyone who has one of these?
Are they happy with it?  The prices are pretty good at $647 and $977.

What internal hard disks are being used out there in net land?

--
					The naive believes everything,
Rich Seyna                              But the prudent man considers

paryavi@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) (08/30/88)

In article <488@scotty.UUCP> you write:
>In article <729@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) writes:
>>ALSO, you can buy some 30 Mb external HDs for less than $800 (and believe me,
>>after a few months you'll be glad you have 30 Mb rather than only 20)
>>particularly if you call, and inquire/buy from any of the following places:
>>
>>					Jim Collymore
>
>Are there any recommendations on brands of hard disks?  Two friends at work had
>problems with the PHOTON 30 (external) drive by WARP 9 ENGINEERING (three were
>returned as defective out of three - two different machines).
>
>I have seen adds for QUANTUM hard disks from MAX HARDWARE HOUSE in 40MB
>and 80MB flavors.  Does anyone know of anyone who has one of these?
>Are they happy with it?  The prices are pretty good at $647 and $977.
>
>What internal hard disks are being used out there in net land?

I have been using the MAX-80 from Hardware House for about two months now
and simply love it.  It is fast (wow) and reliable.  With the MAX-80, I have
160 MB of internal storage in my Mac II.  The other drive which is an apple
80SC holds A/UX.  Frankley, I like the Max-80 much better than the apple drive!

--------
I am not an employee of nor have any other relations with Hardware House
except as a satisfied customer.

Saiid Paryavi                           Dept of Computing & Information Sciences
Internet: paryavi@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu           Kansas State University
BITNET:   paryavi@KSUVAX1                         Manhattan, KS 66506
UUCP:     ... !{pyramid,ucsd}!ncr-sd!ncrwic!ksuvax1!paryavi