[comp.sys.mac] Why does the system heap grow with multifinder and System 4.2?...

G.GUTOW@LEAR.STANFORD.EDU (Jonathan Gutow) (08/16/88)

I'm using system 4.2 and multifinder on an old mac upgraded with the 128K
ROMs and an 800K disk drive.  I've noticed that initially on switch launching
to multifinder the system heap takes up about 252K of memory.  After I've
started and quit afew applications such as RedRyder and WriteNow(1.07 patched
for multifinder) the heap size gains about 100K.  It seems to me that
when you are back to a minimal configuration of running the finder and the
system the system heap size should collapse back down to its original size.
	Is this something that has changed with the newer system versions?
Is there something I might be doing that is causing this.  It's quite
annoying having to restart the system to be able to run certain combinations
of software.
	Oh yeah, I forgot, I have a MacSnap memory upgrade to 1mb.

		Jon Gutow
Gutow@bacall.stanford.edu
or
Gutow%bacall@stanford.bitnet
-------

tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) (08/30/88)

In article <12422786824.175.G.GUTOW@LEAR.STANFORD.EDU> G.GUTOW@LEAR.STANFORD.EDU (Jonathan Gutow) writes:
>I'm using system 4.2 and multifinder on an old mac upgraded with the 128K
>ROMs and an 800K disk drive.  I've noticed that initially on switch launching
>to multifinder the system heap takes up about 252K of memory.  After I've
>started and quit afew applications such as RedRyder and WriteNow(1.07 patched
>for multifinder) the heap size gains about 100K.  It seems to me that
>when you are back to a minimal configuration of running the finder and the
>system the system heap size should collapse back down to its original size.

There are two possible reasons:
1) Some applications tend to lock system resources and don't release them
   when they exit.  This tends to cause a slow increase in system heap usage.
   It can only be fixed by fixing the applications.
2) MultiFinder doesn't reduce the system heap unless there is a good reason
   to do so.  So, if you don't need the memory, MultiFinder will keep it in
   the system heap.

						_emt