[comp.sys.mac] flashing apple

cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) (08/25/88)

Last night my mac started having the annoying habit of flashing the apple on
the menu bar. I don't know what is causing this to happen. I moved all my INIT
and CDEV files outside of my System Folder and rebooted, yet still it happened.
It also does one extra beep at the point where it should be reading in the INIT
files. Does anyone recognize this behavior? I have a Mac+ with System 5.5
(or whatever the number was before the 6.0 fiasco).

Chris Christensen

bob@eecs.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (08/29/88)

>Last night my mac started having the annoying habit of flashing the apple on
>the menu bar. I don't know what is causing this to happen. I moved all my INIT
>and CDEV files outside of my System Folder and rebooted, yet still it happened.
>It also does one extra beep at the point where it should be reading in the INIT
>files. Does anyone recognize this behavior? I have a Mac+ with System 5.5
>(or whatever the number was before the 6.0 fiasco).

The Notification Manager is attempting to get a hold of you. The most likely
cause is the Alarm Clock DA. Check the list of DAs under the Apple menu for
ones marked with a check, diamond, or whatever. If the Alarm Clock is not
installed, install it, and check that.

Bob Hablutzel	BOB@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU

ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) (08/29/88)

In article <870219@hpcilzb.HP.COM> cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) writes:

>Last night my mac started having the annoying habit of flashing the apple on
>the menu bar. I don't know what is causing this to happen.

One of Apple's worst design flaws strikes again.  Chris, meet the Alarm
Clock.  It is a DA that comes with the standard Apple Package.  If you still
have that, install the Alarm Clock DA and shut the alarm off.  If not, there
are a few PD DAs that will do it (Casio jumps to mind).

At least under System 6.0 it is clearer what is going on.  Now, the Apple
turns into an Alarm Clock and back again instead of some mindless flashing.

-ajw

Andy J. Williams '90   |           <hello>           | ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Systems Programmer     |  set $NAME='inigo_montoya'  |      31 North Main Street
Kiewit Computation Ctr |   You kill -9 my process    |         Hanover NH, 03755
Dartmouth College      |        prepare to vi        |  115 Kiewit, 603-646-2636

In article <10330023@eecs.nwu.edu> bob@eecs.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) writes:

>>Last night my mac started having the annoying habit of flashing the apple on
>>the menu bar. I don't know what is causing this to happen.
>>I have a Mac+ with System 5.5
>>(or whatever the number was before the 6.0 fiasco).
>
>The Notification Manager is attempting to get a hold of you. The most likely
>cause is the Alarm Clock DA. Check the list of DAs under the Apple menu for
>ones marked with a check, diamond, or whatever. If the Alarm Clock is not
>installed, install it, and check that.

No, it isn't the notification manager.  That is a System 6.0 toy which
cannot be found nor used in earlier systems (which he says he is using).
There will be no check mark in the DA menu or diamond.  (In fact, I just
tried it under 6.0 and there isn't one under NM anyway).  The pre 6.0
versions simply invert the apple and beep on startup.  That's all.

-Andy

Andy J. Williams '90   |           <hello>           | ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Systems Programmer     |  set $NAME='inigo_montoya'  |      31 North Main Street
Kiewit Computation Ctr |   You kill -9 my process    |         Hanover NH, 03755
Dartmouth College      |        prepare to vi        |  115 Kiewit, 603-646-2636

Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com (08/29/88)

You have the alarm clock on.  Turn it off from the Alarm Clock DA.

Mark Cookson

ins_ammm@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Mamdouh Maher) (08/31/88)

In article <870219@hpcilzb.HP.COM> cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) writes:
>Last night my mac started having the annoying habit of flashing the apple on
>the menu bar. I don't know what is causing this to happen. I moved all my INIT
>and CDEV files outside of my System Folder and rebooted, yet still it happened.
>It also does one extra beep at the point where it should be reading in the INIT
>files. Does anyone recognize this behavior? I have a Mac+ with System 5.5
>(or whatever the number was before the 6.0 fiasco).

  Check your alarm. It should be set and the flashing apple is your alarm
ringing.

                                              Mamdouh Maher