[comp.sys.mac] Software Upgrade Policies

krm@aluxz.UUCP (Kurt Marko) (08/27/88)

There has been a lot of talk on the Net lately about the "maturing"
(read, depersonalizing) of the Mac software market, specifically with
regard to a degradation in service after a small developer is absorbed
into (taken over by) a large software publisher.  I don't agree with
this as a general assertion, however I do have an individual
experience to relate which may sound familiar to many.

Like most owners of Lightspeed C, I am excited about the new features
offered by their version 3.0.  Some may quibble with their upgrade
policies and prices...that's not my purpose here.  After reading about
the imminent release of the upgrade on the Net, I waited (and
waited...) for my upgrade notice (I was SURE I registered).  It never
came.  I called Think/Symantec to confirm that I was indeed
registered, and yes my name is in the database, and no, they had no
idea why I hadn't gotten an upgrade notice (an aside, from others
comments, mine is not an isolated incident).  Well, I finally got
impatient and sent a letter, complete with my Serial number and a
check for the required upgrade and shipping charges to the address
listed in Rich Siegel's posting (thank you Rich!).  I sent the letter
on July 18th, the check was cashed around the end of July....and still
no package from Think.  (I never did receive an upgrade notice!).

I called Symantec in California today and they confirmed that I'm at
the top of the shipping list as soon as new product arrives.  I asked
them why they were selling LSC3.0 at Macworld two weeks ago (that's
where all of their remaining product went the gentleman offered), when
I, a registered owner with a cancelled check still haven't received
my upgrade?  He apologized.  I thank him for his courtesy.  Now, I'm
not desperate for v3.0; I don't have a product whose success hinges on
using 3.0; I won't go hungry tonight because my last dollar was spent
on the upgrade...that's not the point.  The point is that I believe
registered owners of a product (does loyalty mean anything in
business?) deserve honest, fair treatment.  How about shipping upgrades
before filling up the shelves at MacConnection and the booths at
Macworld?  How about not cashing my check until the item is shipped?
This tale is not unique; unfortunately in this new era for Mac
software, it's becoming all too common.

Kurt Marko ...att!aluxz!krm

mkg@lzsc.ATT.COM (Marsh Gosnell) (08/30/88)

In article <945@aluxz.UUCP>, krm@aluxz.UUCP (Kurt Marko) writes:
> How about shipping upgrades before filling up the shelves at MacConnection
> and the booths at Macworld?

If you haven't received your upgrade yet, when you do you'll see that
the upgrade packaging is radically different than the shelf packaging.
Although the disks probably come from the same duplicator and the manuals
from the same printer, that's about all the two packages have in common.
My upgrade arrived in a plain box with nothing but the two manuals and
shrink-wrapped disks.

Symantec ran out of upgrade packages around the beginning of August and
had to manufacture more.  It's unfortunate that it coincided with a major
show.
  Marsh Gosnell  att!lzma!mkg

jwhitnell@cup.portal.com (09/01/88)

Somebody writes about the LSC 3.0 upgrades...
|If you haven't received your upgrade yet, when you do you'll see that
|the upgrade packaging is radically different than the shelf packaging.
|Although the disks probably come from the same duplicator and the manuals
|from the same printer, that's about all the two packages have in common.
|My upgrade arrived in a plain box with nothing but the two manuals and
|shrink-wrapped disks.

The only difference between the two packages is 1) the off-the-shelf
comes in a nice 4-color box surrounding the cardboard container (same
cardboard container as the upgrade) and 2) the upgrade doesn't include
the warrenty card.  Otherwise, same manual, same disks, same product
advertisments.  Even same plain cardboard container.  And no, I don't
know why Symantec doesn't canabilize the off-the-shelf packages for
upgrades.

Jerry
--
Jerry Whitnell