[comp.sys.mac] Focal Point II

postmaster@mailcom.UUCP (Bernard Aboba) (09/01/88)

* Original: FROM.....Bernard Aboba (204/444)
* Original: TO.......All (204/444)
* Forwarded by.......OPUS 204/444

Danny Goodman came to give a demo at MuCOW, the newly formed ComputerWare
user group in Palo Alto, showing Focal Point II.  The main thing about
Focal Point II is that the line between Stack and Application has almost
completely faded away.  It implements pull down and pop up menus of its
own, and gives the look and feel of an application, at least on a Mac SE
or Plus where you don't see a HyperCard window, so you can tell it's a
stack.
As for features, there seem to be so many of them that it's hard to
enumerate.  As Goodman said, the HyperTalk code for FPII takes a 3"
binder.  Yet the performance seemed good.  The main idea is that once you
enter something in one part of the program, such as setting an
appointment, it filters through to the other parts, generating reminders,
alarms, schedules, to do lists, etc.
FPII is somewhat of a dangerous program because it has the potential to
completely take over your life.  There is even a networking module by
which a boss can control his staff's assignments, and have Focal Point
nag them until they do everything he's sent them to do over the network!
I call it "Network Nagware."
Actually, after about 45 minutes, I had reached feature saturation, and
my eyes were glazed over.  However, I still wanted to get FP II, if only
to delve into the scripts to see how he got all those neat effects.  It's
still unprotected, and overall, is probably one of the best tutors on
HyperTalk programming fine points you can find.

---
 * Origin: sun!sunncal!mailcom  Palo Alto (415) 855-9548 (Opus 1:204/444)
SEEN-BY: 204/444

FidoNet:   1:204/444    UUCP: ...!sun!sunncal!mailcom!bernard
INTERNET:  sunncal!mailcom!bernard@Sun.COM
US MAIL:   Bernard Aboba, 101 First St. #224, Los Altos, CA 94022