[comp.sys.mac] Replacing power boards in old 512K macs

wkp@beta.lanl.gov (Bill Peter) (09/01/88)

Someone here has an old 512K Macintosh whose power board has
just gone out (according to the local dealer who will
charge $200 to fix it).

My question is, is it worth it to have the dealer do it, or
can power boards be bought and simply replaced by a Mac user?
Who sells them?  Do they also come with new motherboards
carrying the new (128) ROM?  Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any help.

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (09/01/88)

In article <21317@beta.lanl.gov>, wkp@beta.lanl.gov (Bill Peter) writes:

	you don't buy them, you repair them

> Someone here has an old 512K Macintosh whose power board has
> just gone out (according to the local dealer who will
> charge $200 to fix it).

	don't pay that!

> My question is, is it worth it to have the dealer do it, or
> can power boards be bought and simply replaced by a Mac user?

	call 1-800-874-2288 (Total Systems Integration, Eugene OR)
	they fix boards at $65 fixed cost.  they also sell parts,
	if you can figure out the board;  often boards need no more
	than reheating some solder or replacing a few parts ...

> Who sells them?

	noone I know .... (I used to know some place once...)

> Do they also come with new motherboards

	you mean an upgrade to a Plus?  ask them...

> carrying the new (128) ROM?  Any recommendations?

	ROMs are a dealer item and only come in a ROM-drive upgrade
	package (if still available).  actually, one can pick up a used Plus
	cheap enough that a broken old 128k or 512k is hardly worth the
	trouble ... $200 max ...

--
--------------------> PREFERED-RETURN-ADDRESS-FOLLOWS <---------------------
(ARPA)	    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)

Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com (09/02/88)

I had mine done and it cost $169.  It can not be done by a non-dealer, and if
it could I doubt they would sell it to you.  It also seems to have added about
a pound to the weight of my Mac....  Only took an hour to install though....

Mark Cookson