[comp.sys.mac] SuperMac dying?

spector@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) (08/24/88)

I have  been trying to get a grasp on the state of SuperMac's health, and
most dealers and distributors I have been talking to recommend  AGAINST buying
and thing from SuperMac for the next couple of months until it is determined
whether or not the company is going to survive...?   Can anyone from
SuperMac (Fabian??) give  The Rest Of Us a clue as to whats going on???

		Thanks,
		  David
David HM Spector				New York University
Senior Systems Programmer			Graduate School of Business
Arpa: SPECTOR@GBA.NYU.EDU			Academic Computing Center
UUCP:...!{allegra,rocky,harvard}!cmcl2!spector	90 Trinity Place, Rm C-4
HamRadio: N2BCA      MCIMail: DSpector          New York, New York 10006
AppleLink: D1161     CompuServe: 71260,1410     (212) 285-6080
"What computer puts out work like this?"  "Hire us and we'll tell you."
XYZZYGLORP

tgl@zog.cs.cmu.edu (Tom Lane) (08/25/88)

In article <650045@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU>, spector@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector)
writes:
> I have  been trying to get a grasp on the state of SuperMac's health, and
> most dealers and distributors I have been talking to recommend AGAINST buying
> and thing from SuperMac for the next couple of months until it is determined
> whether or not the company is going to survive...?

If everyone takes that attitude, the rumors of SuperMac's demise will very
soon prove to be self-fulfilling prophecy.

I have nothing to do with SuperMac (either for or against), but I know that
lack of cash flow is sure doom for any small company.  I would say that if
you think they have a good product that you need now, buy it.

If you don't want to take the risk of dealing with a company that might
not be around in five years, go buy from IBM.

--
				tom lane
Internet: tgl@zog.cs.cmu.edu

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (08/27/88)

>In article <650045@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU>, spector@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector)
>writes:
>> I have  been trying to get a grasp on the state of SuperMac's health, and
>> most dealers and distributors I have been talking to recommend AGAINST buying
>> and thing from SuperMac for the next couple of months until it is determined
>> whether or not the company is going to survive...?

Well, I just got my Dataframe Utilities packages, and they seem to work
fine.  They didn't charge my credit card until before they shipped it.  And
it comes with excellent bound documentation.

That's good enough for me.

                            "It's Jenny's brother, Butch!  Boy, are we
                             semi-glad to see you."
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

rampil@cca.ucsf.edu (Ira Rampil) (09/01/88)

In article <650045@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU> spector@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) writes:

>I have  been trying to get a grasp on the state of SuperMac's health, and
>most dealers and distributors I have been talking to recommend  AGAINST buying
Tis true that shipping and service slipped noticeably during the
past few months because SMS was going down the tubes, I believe
SuperMac will do just fine once it is back in control.  The
re-organization is now in progress and should not take long.  I
think things will work out because they have solid name recognition,
solid products and service, and a solid management team.  It is
a notable sign that so many VC types wanted in on the new SuperMac
that they had to turn away more than 8 megabucks of financing.
The hard to believe part is that SMS would want to sell it in order
to save its IBM and DEC divisions!

ira -> Gas, the Final Frontier <- rampil

Disclaimer: Aside from being of long acquaintance with some principals,
            I have no relationship with SuperMac except as a customer.

Fabian@cup.portal.com (09/02/88)

David,

Though I cannot go into specifics, SuperMac is ALIVE and WELL.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian

cmccabe@cdp.UUCP (09/02/88)

Having several friends that are developers and testers for SuperMac, I canb
assure all that it will indeed survive.  The problem has been with the terms
of separation from SMS and all that rot.  The development continues and I
can promise many great new products (as well as support for the old ones)
coming your way.

Any day now, SuperMac will be free....

Charles McCabe
IS & T MCSG