[comp.sys.mac] How to Make Pronunciation Marks

omo@mcnc.org (Julie E. Omohundro) (08/30/88)

I posted this once, got some help, but still no complete solution:

Is there any way to make pronunciation marks on my Mac?  I mean pronunciation
marks, like in a dictionary entry, not accent marks like in a foreign language,
so the normal key caps options aren't sufficient.

I am investigating a font editor, but would appreciate a cheaper/easier way
to do this.  I want to have this capability on both the Imagewriter and the
Laserwriter, although separate methods for each printer would be okay.  Also,
must be usable with all fonts (or at least a decent selection).

I own a MacPlus w/20meg HD and use MS Word mostly.

landman%hanami@Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman) (09/01/88)

In article <3444@alvin.mcnc.org> omo@mcnc.org (Julie E. Omohundro) writes:
>Is there any way to make pronunciation marks on my Mac?  I mean pronunciation
>marks, like in a dictionary entry, not accent marks like in a foreign language,
>so the normal key caps options aren't sufficient.

I want to know this also, however I can live with a *single* pronunciation
mark, the overbar indicating a long vowel.  This is all that's required to
transliterate Japanese.  Any "romaji" fonts?

Also, I received a disk with the "Palencia" font on it.  I really like this
font, and the great variety of sizes, but I have no idea whether it's
public domain or not.  Can anyone tell me?  Also, is it available in
laserwriter form?

	Howard A. Landman
	landman@hanami.sun.com
	UUCP: sun!hanami!landman

fons@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (09/02/88)

I have used microsoft words formula mode to write long marks for Japanese.
It is a little bit tempermental, but it does work just fine if one does NOT
use the fractional space option on the laserwriter dialog box.  I defined a
glossary entry for it and my wife used it without trouble extensively for a
book she was writing.  In particular I just used the overstrike mode within
a formula.  Something like
		formula character O(x,option -).
Anyway take a look at key caps there is a overbar in times for instance.

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (09/02/88)

In article <66425@sun.uucp> landman@sun.UUCP (Howard A. Landman) writes:
>In article <3444@alvin.mcnc.org> omo@mcnc.org (Julie E. Omohundro) writes:
>>Is there any way to make pronunciation marks on my Mac?  I mean pronunciation
>>marks, like in a dictionary entry, not accent marks like in a foreign language,
>>so the normal key caps options aren't sufficient.
>
>I want to know this also, however I can live with a *single* pronunciation
>mark, the overbar indicating a long vowel.  This is all that's required to
>transliterate Japanese.  Any "romaji" fonts?

Julie: To get all those strange symbols used as pronounciation marks
you will need a special font.  I think BitStream has fonts like that,
but I don't know of any that have been made available for the
Macintosh.  If you can't buy one, you could make one.  Fontastic seems
to be a good editor for creating a bitmapped font.  Fontographer on
the high end will let you create a LaserWriter font.  The bad news is
that creating a good looking font is a lot of work, and something that
not just anybody will be able to do.

Howard: If all you need is a single character it is reasonable to add
it to an existing font.  A few points to remember.  You must add it to
each size of the bimapped version of the font you are modifying.  If
the font is only bit mapped, you are done, if the font is a
downloadable LaserWriter font you will need to add it to the
downloadable file too.  If it is a built-in LaserWriter font you will
not be able to change what is in ROM.  A further nasty: modifying a
copyrighted font is likely to violate copyright law, and for
downloadable fonts they might have done some copy protection sort of
thing to the font to prevent modifications.

Once you get past that, here is how you can make a single overbar but
use it with different letters.  Use a double strike.  Create an
overbar character that prints, but itself has no width, that is, the
imaginary pencil that draws your letters does not get advanced by this
character.  In the font editor you use, move the little pointers that
show the character's width together until they are on top of each
other.  Put them to the left of the overbar if you want to type the
overbar before you type the letter, or put them on the right if you
want to type the overbar after the letter.

This is a fairly easy way to do your overbar, but you will have to
compromise the overbar's position and length to make it look
reasonable in all the combinations--so it won't look really great in
any of the combinations.  To make it look really good, you will need
to create a separate character for each combination.

One other thing, for doing Japanese, look at KanjiTalk available from
APDA (at least for the moment, for as long as they exist...).

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
hscfvax!lloyd!kent

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (09/02/88)

landman@sun.UUCP (Howard A. Landman) wrote:
>  omo@mcnc.org (Julie E. Omohundro) writes:
> >Is there any way to make pronunciation marks on my Mac?  I mean
> >pronunciation marks, like in a dictionary entry, not accent marks like
> >in a foreign language, so the normal key caps options aren't sufficient.

> I want to know this also, however I can live with a *single*
> pronunciation mark, the overbar indicating a long vowel. This is all
> that's required to transliterate Japanese...

If you precede the character you want to overbar with option ` in the
Symbol font (or maybe option ` option ` or option `` - I'm not sure quite
what the difference is, and I don't think they work the same on all
keyboards and systems) you will get it overbarred in the printed version;
it will look like a prefixed overbar on the screen. WYSIalmostWYG.

It will usually look terrible; the bar isn't sized or centred to the
character it's over. I think it only works with Laserwriters; I don't
have an Imagewriter to check it on.

Not having accents (as opposed to accented characters) was the worst
single mistake Apple made with the Mac software design. Over and over
there have been letters to user magazines asking "how can I get a
circumflex over a Y for Welsh?" and the like. Typewriter designers got
this more nearly right 80 years ago, so they don't have much excuse.

--
ARPA: jack%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk       USENET: jack@cs.glasgow.uucp
JANET:jack@uk.ac.glasgow.cs      useBANGnet: ...mcvax!ukc!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!jack