[comp.sys.mac] FAX -> text

rdp@pbseps.UUCP (Richard Perlman) (08/31/88)

[ The original posting did not seem to work, hope this is not a
duplicate.  If it is, sorry..]

I am looking for software/hardware to allow the reception of a
FAX document on a computer (PC, MAC, UNIX, ??) and then "read"
the FAX with OCR software into an ascii document.

I have seen ads for OCR software that can "read" scanned
documents, and hardware that allows a computer to receive a FAX,
so.... can they get together??

---
Richard Perlman * pbseps!rdp@PacBell.COM || {ames,sun,att}!pacbell!pbseps!rdp
180 New Montgomery St. rm 602,  San Francisco, CA  94105  |*|  (415) 545-0233

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (08/31/88)

some of the currently available PC-Fax systems have an optional
OCR package.  check with the individual vendors -- you can find
a list of vendors in recent issues of PC Magazine and Byte.

last i heard, it was at least an additional $500 for OCR software...

paul@csnz.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (09/01/88)

In article <237@pbseps.UUCP> rdp@pbseps.PacBell.COM (Richard Perlman) writes:
>I am looking for software/hardware to allow the reception of a
>FAX document on a computer (PC, MAC, UNIX, ??) and then "read"
>the FAX with OCR software into an ascii document.

I've seen an article on the fact that British Telecom have been working
on this problem for some time, and expect to have a solution on the market
by mid next year (1989).  Their version will be a bus card for the good
ol' IBM PC of course, and will almost certainly run under DOS.

BT rebadge Zenith PCs and call them Merlin or somesuch, so I guess
there will be a version that runs on them too.

--
Paul Gillingwater, Computer Sciences	Call this BBS - Magic Tower (24 hours)
paul@csnz.nz  (vuwcomp!dsiramd!csnz)	NZ +64 4 753 561 8N1 TowerNet software

jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (Chris Cooley) (09/02/88)

In article <237@pbseps.UUCP>, rdp@pbseps.UUCP (Richard Perlman) writes:
> I am looking for software/hardware to allow the reception of a
> FAX document on a computer (PC, MAC, UNIX, ??) and then "read"
> the FAX with OCR software into an ascii document.
>
> I have seen ads for OCR software that can "read" scanned
> documents, and hardware that allows a computer to receive a FAX,
> so.... can they get together??

We're currently looking into getting better OCR equipment and we've
recently ordered information on Caere Corporation's OmniPage, as seen
in MacWeek (Aug. 16, or thereabouts).

One of the features mentioned was the acceptance of TIFF files from FAX
modems.  Seeing as how this products uses a scanned full-sized page as
input, I would think this product would do the job.

It says "for additional information...call 1-800-535-SCAN."  The product
has a price tag of $795 ($2,000 for MS DOS -- comes with a 68000 board).

					--chris

--
J. Chris Cooley                         | husc6! -\
Computation. Center (COM 1)             |  im4u! -->-cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!jcc